Molly Hendrick leads UNC women's lacrosse to win in season-opener

The last time junior Molly Hendrick took to the field for the North Carolina women's lacrosse team, she scored a season-high five goals before suffering a season-ending ACL tear. Saturday, Hendrick returned to the field and picked up where she left off.

She scored four goals, leading the No. 2 Tar Heels to an 11-7 victory over James Madison.

Her first two goals came within three minutes of each other to give the Tar Heels a 3-2 advantage, a lead which they wouldn’t give up for the remainder of the game.

Seniors Sammy Jo Tracy and Aly Messinger then teamed up for a couple of goals to give UNC a three-point lead.

A James Madison timeout led to a shot from the Dukes’ Brooks Lawler, but Hendricks quickly returned the pressure, finishing her hat trick with more than 14 minutes remaining in the half.

The team went into the halftime break with a comfortable 10-4 lead. The second half proved to be less successful for North Carolina, though.

The Dukes went on a 3-1 run, bringing them within four of UNC. Despite James Madison’s second-half rally, it wasn’t enough to top the Tar Heels.

The Tar Heels only goal of the second half came from Hendricks — her fourth.

As the final seconds ran off the clock at the end of the game, the Tar Heels celebrated their season-opening victory, but Hendricks also celebrated her personal win of returning to the field as strong as ever.

Quotable

“Offensively we came out of the gate strong, to score ten goals in the first half was great. This was (Hendrick’s) first game back, and obviously she was effective.” — Coach Jenny Levy on her team's offensive performance.

Notable

The Tar Heels have four players on the Preseason All-ACC team: Aly Messinger, Maggie Bill, Marie McCool, and Caylee Waters. This is the most of any team in the conference.

3 Numbers That Matter

63: UNC and James Madison combined for 63 shots Saturday.

7: Junior goalkeeper Caylee Waters saved seven shots and gave up seven goals against the Dukes.

4: Seniors Tracy and Messinger combined for four goals on the day.

What’s Next?

North Carolina will play at High Point at 6 p.m. on Friday in its second game of the season.

@Kayleigh_Payne7