Opinion: Chase Rice is a god-awful choice for Spring Jubilee

Chase Rice is not a bad concert choice. He would be great for little frat court on a weekend. But, after canceling Homecoming, how is anyone “gonna wanna” have Chase Rice for Jubilee. To call the choice underwhelming would be an insult to Rice’s music, which defines underwhelming; this decision is horrendous.

CUAB has had adequate time to bring an artist to campus that would excite and energize the entire community. Rice appeals to a small minority of students who enjoy a particular de-placed modern country focused on large trucks, women in cut-off jeans dancing by themselves in pastures and false appeals to rural living. This board is aware of his chiseled abs, in full display when coming second place on Survivor, and beautiful blue eyes, which often lay just beneath a prominent snapback hat. However, they do not make up for the following lyrics from his song “Party Up,” “Tonight we gonna fly with them 747’s/ Get highhhhh hiiggghhhhh.”

That sounds like a Charlotte native from Morrison freestyling for the first time.

It should be noted that some are going to love this concert, but most will not. If CUAB was planning on bringing a figure that only caters to a small group of people they should have had multiple concerts this year. To place all their marbles on Chase Rice is like watching Chase Rice try to bridge the gap between Justin Bieber pop and modern country on his new song “Whisper”: annoying.

Let us just to put this in perspective. Here are some other names on the list for possible performers this year: The Weeknd, Fetty Wap, Future, Schoolboy Q. Your mom might know those people are. She has heard them on the radio once or twice.

Jubilee should have had an artist big enough that your mom would kind of mess up their name and be like, “Wait, is it Fatty Whip?” or ,“Oh, I like The Future.” And you would say, “No, it’s Fetty Wap!” and, “It’s The Weeknd and Future; those are two different people!”

That should be a test for the Jubilee concert.

The UNC community deserves a much better concert. CUAB is one of the few institutions on campus that seems to have a ludicrous amount of money to spend on such events, yet continually chooses middling options such as this one.

Some will argue that this is a good idea because Rice played football here and references UNC icons like “He’s Not.” But that only means there is all the more reason to use the great money and resources of Jubilee (again it must be said we had no Homecoming concert) on someone who would not normally come to UNC.

Jubilee deserves better than Chase Rice.