PlayMakers Repertory Company is taking audiences on a journey of transformation with its 2016-17 season.
Announced last Tuesday, the new season features six main stage plays, three of which were written by important female playwrights. The plays include Dominique Morisseau's “Detroit '67,” Molly Smith Metzler’s “The May Queen” and Lynn Nottage’s “Intimate Apparel."
Producing Artistic Director Vivienne Benesch said she wanted to showcase women in the theater.
THE 2016-17 SEASON
Find the full list of performances here.
- Aug. 24 through 28: Announcing soon
- Sept. 14 through Oct. 2: Detroit '67
- Oct. 19 through Nov. 6: The Crucible
- Nov. 23 through Dec. 11: The May Queen
- Jan. 11 through 15, 2017: De Profundis
- Jan. 25 through Feb. 12, 2017: Intimate Apparel
- March 1 through 19, 2017: Twelfth Night
- April 5 through 29, 2017: My Fair Lady
- April 26 through 30, 2017: Mr. Joy
“Nothing is more important to me right now than including a great diversity of voices, and I wanted to make sure we had strong women’s voices this season," she said.
Arielle Yoder, actress and MFA candidate in the professional actor training program, said the appointment of a new producing artistic director has allowed the company to step forward and explore new perspectives.