Author Karen Branan will be discussing her new book, “The Family Tree,” on Wednesday at Flyleaf Books. The book details her extensive research into a long-ignored lynching in Georgia — conducted by her own family. Staff writer Paige Connelly spoke to Branan about how often we look at history through “white-colored glasses.” 

The Daily Tar Heel: Can you briefly explain your book “The Family Tree”?

Karen Branan: The central focus of the book is the lynching of a woman and three men in 1912 in Hamilton, Georgia, by members of my family — my great-grandfather, the sheriff of Hamilton at the time; my grandfather, who was his deputy, allowed this to happen, and what I discovered was what I call an ‘all in the family’ lynching …

I spent 20 years researching this lynching because there wasn’t a lot of available evidence, so I needed to get evidence. Over time, I gathered quite a lot of evidence, actually, and some of my best research came from Wilson Library, right here at the University of North Carolina.

DTH: I know this specific event inspired you, but other than that, what inspired you to write about this story now?

KB: Well, there were numerous things. I interviewed, I did an oral history with my maternal grandmother in 1984, a couple of years before she died, and at the end of it — it was a rather lengthy interview — and at the end, I kind of popped in a question I had really not even thought to ask, but I changed my mind. I said, ‘What is your most unforgettable memory?’ and she said, without batting an eye, she said, ‘The hangings,’ and I said, ‘What was that?’ and she said, ‘Well, they hanged a woman and three men in our town, in Hamilton, when I was a young girl, and I didn’t want to go, but everyone else was going, so I saw it.’ She did not mention that it was — she said they had been found guilty — so I assumed this was a judicial execution, so only weird thing about it in my mind was that the woman was hanged and they were all hanged out of doors, but I assumed there had been a court trial. I also assumed that they were all white, so I didn’t pursue it at the time.

Later, when I discovered that I was about to become the grandmother of a racially mixed child, I became very fearful for a reason I could not pinpoint. It made no sense because I had been working for racial justice most of my adult life, and I lived in the North, and I had raised my son to be non-racist, and suddenly, I was terrified, and I was terrified for all four of us — the child, the mother, my son and myself. And so I was guided in many ways to go back into history and see if I could get some answers to some questions that had popped up even in as early as my childhood. My father told me some rather disturbing stories of racial violence, so I began. I was an investigative reporter, and I had been investigating other people all my life, and I thought, 'It’s time to investigate my own family.'

DTH: What do you think people can learn from this book, and what do you want them to take away?

KB: I want people who don’t know very much about Southern history to know just how horrendous it was for African Americans and to also see that it was not a potentially good deal for whites either. We’ve made a lot of progress, but we still have a very long way to go, and I think in the book they’ll see some parallels. 

DTH: How can this story that happened years ago have commonalities with what’s going on now?

KB: There’s some commonalities — you know, there’s some big differences also. I think one of the biggest differences is that back then, you know the legal system was so undeveloped back then, that huge numbers of white voters really did not trust or respect the legal system, so lynching was taking the law into their own hands. I think that’s changed quite a lot. What we have now, unfortunately, are too many police taking the law into their own hands, and in fact, some of the similarities were even back then because some of the people that were in the lynch mob were law officers who were not wearing their uniforms, and I think that was a fairly common situation in lynchings in the South back in those days. So we have, you know, what is now being called police brutality or police abuse and that actually happened in Hamilton.

DTH: Finally, what authors inspire you personally?

KB: The early authors that inspired me in college and right out of college, when I first began to make some real changes in how I saw things racially and began to join the Civil Rights Movement and do things like that, was a white women named Lillian Smith, who wrote a wonderful book about white racism and what it does — what racism does, to white people. Also James Baldwin, who I love, and Toni Morrison. 

Going a ways back, there was a newspaper editor at the Atlanta Journal who wasn’t really all that liberal, but if he was liberal, he still believed in segregation — but he wrote articles that showed what whites were doing to blacks and he was really the only access I had for a long time for anyone, any white person, who thought differently about that. So newspaper editors, newspaper journalists, were big with me, which is why I became a journalist myself, because I thought, ‘Here I’ll have the freedom to explore some of these issues, and maybe to speak my mind.'