Tar Heels blow 17-point lead in 80-66 loss to N.C. State

With 7:59 remaining in the second quarter Sunday afternoon in Carmichael Arena, the North Carolina women’s basketball team led N.C. State by a score of 33-16. 

With 7:08 remaining in the third quarter, the Wolfpack led 48-38. The Tar Heels never recovered from the huge N.C. State run, falling 80-66. UNC dropped to 14-15 on the season and 4-10 in ACC play. 

Coach Sylvia Hatchell’s team started the game strong, going 5-of-9 from 3-point range in the first quarter, while the Wolfpack went 0-9. 

The shooting dried up for the Tar Heels in the second quarter, and N.C. State’s combination of depth and experience took advantage of the youthful and thin Tar Heels, who only played seven players on the afternoon. 

First-year guard Stephanie Watts was the highlight for UNC, the Wesley Chapel, N.C. native poured in 30 points— a career high — including six 3-pointers. 

Quotable

“I think these guys are the two best freshmen in the country.” — Hatchell talking about Watts and fellow freshman Destinee Walker. 

Notable

Sunday was the annual “Play for Kay” game, a game designed to honor the late N.C. State coach Kay Yow, who passed away in 2009 after a battle with breast cancer. 

The Tar Heels wore pink jerseys in honor of Yow.  Hatchell even wore a t-shirt that was given to her by the Wolfpack players which read, “We play for Coach Yow, but we support Coach Hatchell” in honor of Hatchell’s recent battle with Leukemia. 

Three numbers that matter

12: UNC made 17 total field goals on the afternoon. Twelve of them were 3-pointers. 

40: Both Watts and sophomore guard Jamie Cherry played the entire game (40 minutes) for Tar Heels. 

35: The Tar Heels largest lead of the game was 17 points and the Wolfpack’s largest lead ballooned to 18, giving the game a massive swing of 35 points from the second to the third quarter. 

What’s next?

UNC travels to Charlottesville, Va. to take on Virginia at 7 p.m. on Thursday. 

@Brandon_chase1