UNC men's swimming and diving snags third-place finish in ACC Championships

We won!M. Burns 200 Breast (first)
We won!M. Burns 200 Breast (first)

They barely squeaked it out.

On Saturday, the No. 18 North Carolina men’s swimming and diving team held strong to beat out Virginia Tech by just 5.5 points for third place in the 2016 ACC Championships. UNC finished with 897.5 points, behind No. 7 N.C. State (1402) and No. 14 Louisville (1067.5). 

“It was great to see our guys work so hard to reach our goal in the midst of the competition,” Coach Rich DeSelm said. “We had a lot of guys dig really deep, perform extremely well in pressure situations and really do it for one another.” 

The Tar Heels opened up day one of the four-day meet in second place, thanks to the veteran 200-yard medley relay team. The senior unit — which has swam together for four years — produced a third-place performance that set a new school record and qualified for the NCAA Championships. 

“It’s a little scary to think that next year (the senior class) won't be on the team,” DeSelm said. “Their leadership at practice, in the classroom, in the community and certainly in competition has been immeasurable.”

On Thursday night, the Tar Heels posted five top-5 finishes but still fell to fourth place. 

Sophomore Henry Campbell and senior Sam Lewis earned third in the 500-yard freestyle and 50-yard freestyle, respectively. Senior Ben Colley finished fourth in the 200-yard individual medley, putting him in second place on the all-time UNC record list. Junior Jack Nyquist’s second-place finish in the three-meter diving from a week ago was factored into the night's results. 

But once again, the Tar Heels relied on senior leadership to move back up to third place on Friday. 

Lewis claimed UNC’s sole ACC title in the meet, finishing with a time of 45.77 seconds in the 100-yard butterfly. 

“It felt really good to get the win in that event,” Lewis said. “I feel like I’ve been on the verge of it the last couple of years, and then as a senior I was finally able to pull out the win.”

The final day of competition saw the Tar Heels behind the Hokies in the waning moments. But bronze medal finishes by Colley in the 200-yard butterfly and the 400-yard freestyle relay helped the team mount its comeback and cement a narrow third-place finish. 

Quotable

“In the morning swim, I kind of just said ‘screw it’ and just went after it, and I was very surprised when I looked up at the scoreboard.” — Senior Nic Graesser on his school record-breaking performance in the 100-yard backstroke after not training for the event all season. 

Notable

With his first-place finish in the 100-yard butterfly, Lewis became the first Tar Heel to win an individual championship since Tom Luchsinger in 2013. 

Three numbers that matter

2: Graesser set two school records in two days, with his fourth-place finishes in both the 100-yard backstroke and 200-yard backstroke. 

3: Colley has finished third in the 200-yard butterfly at the ACC Championships three times in a row. 

61: UNC has finished first, second or third in 61 of the 63 ACC Championships since 1954. 

What's next?

The Tar Heels are now headed to Atlanta, Ga. for the NCAA Championships. The Zone Diving Championships begin on Mar. 7.