UNC softball sweeps Carolina Classic behind Lynch's superb play

The North Carolina softball team continued to find its form on Sunday, sweeping a doubleheader against Fairfield and Georgetown to close out the Carolina Classic at Anderson Softball Stadium.

The Tar Heels’ two wins — by scores of 6-4 and 8-0, respectively — gave UNC (8-6) a 4-0 record for the weekend, the first weekend the team finished with a winning record.

In the day’s first game, Fairfield (0-4) took an early lead with two runs in the top of the first inning, but the Tar Heels fought back with runs in each of the first three innings to establish a 4-2 lead.

Sophomore Sydney Matzko held the Stags in check for two quick innings, but Fairfield's two-out, two-run double in the fourth inning evened the score at 4-4. Matzko was then replaced by Kendra Lynch, who drilled a solo home run over the right-center field wall to give UNC a lead it would not relinquish.

Against Georgetown, Lynch rode her momentum to another dominant performance.

In her ninth start of the season, the righty threw five shutout innings, allowing just five hits and walking none to take the win over the Hoyas (2-9).

Georgetown pitcher Samantha Giovanniello held the Tar Heels without a hit for the first three innings, but UNC’s bats came alive in the bottom of the fourth.

North Carolina added eight runs in the fourth, as Jill Ferraro and Berlynne Delamora each contributed RBI singles. The final blow came off Lynch’s bat once again on a three-run home run driven over the left field fence, giving UNC an 8-0 lead to force a run-rule victory in the fifth inning.

Quotable

“It’s a win. It’s in the books, and that’s what’s important. The experiences that you gain and the momentum that we’ve got is big.” — Coach Donna Papa on the impact of this weekend on the coming weeks.

Notable

Despite scoring six runs in their win over Fairfield, the Tar Heels had only four batters record a hit. Lynch, Ferraro and Destiny DeBerry each had multiple hits, while Taylor Wike added a home run as her only hit.

Three numbers that matter

15: North Carolina left 15 runners on base in its first game of the day against Fairfield, while the Stags stranded eight.

14: UNC sent 14 batters to the plate in the fourth inning against Georgetown. The Tar Heels recorded eight runs on six hits in the inning, as the Hoyas also committed two errors in the field.

8.1: Lynch held threw 8.1 scoreless innings over the course of the doubleheader. The junior earned wins against both Fairfield and Georgetown, improving her record to 6-3 on the year.

What’s next?

UNC travels to Fullerton, Calif. to face Michigan at 3 p.m. on Friday in the Judi Garman Classic.