UNC women's basketball can't keep pace with Florida State in loss

The third-quarter woes continued for the North Carolina women’s basketball team Sunday afternoon in Tallahassee, Fla., as the Tar Heels lost 94-63 at the hands of No. 10 Florida State. 

Even though the scoreboard indicated a blowout, UNC (14-13, 4-8 ACC) did threaten the Seminoles (21-4, 11-1 ACC) at times during the contest. But the first period started out rough for UNC, as Florida State began the game on a 10-0 run. 

After a barrage of 3-pointers from first-year Stephanie Watts brought UNC within three points, the Seminoles ended the quarter on another 10-0 run to put the game's tally at 25-12. 

Redshirt junior, Hillary Summers, reignited the Tar Heels' rally in the second period by putting in 12 points of her own, allowing UNC to tie the score for a brief moment. But Florida State regained the lead on the ensuing possession and never looked back. 

Then, the third period — the recent nemesis of the Tar Heels — reared its head again. Florida State outscored North Carolina 27-11 in the 10-minute span, putting the game out of reach. 

Another rough area for the Tar Heels was rebounding. Florida State crashed the boards throughout the contest, resulting in a 51-35 rebounding edge at the game's conclusion. 

There was a bright spot amidst the defeat for the Tar Heels. The rookie duo of Watts and Destinee Walker combined for 37 of the Tar Heels' 63 points, while amassing 80 total minutes of playing time. 

Quotable

“We’re very young. I thought we did a great job coming back. We did some good things, but inside play and rebounding just killed us.” — Coach Sylvia Hatchell on her team's performance. 

Notable

Coming into the game, Walker and Watts were the top-scoring first-year duo in the ACC. Watts comes in second among ACC rookies at 13.6 points per game, while Walker is third in the conference with 13.5. 

Three numbers that matter

3: Three Tar Heels played the full 40 minutes in Sunday's game. 

9: UNC made nine 3-pointers on Sunday, marking its second-highest total of the season. 

8: The Tar Heels now have eight ACC losses, their most since the 2009-10 season. 

What’s next?

North Carolina hosts Pittsburgh at 7 p.m. on Thursday at Carmichael Arena. The game will be aired on ESPN3. 

@WBOD3