UNC women's tennis bounces back with wins over Miami, Florida State

The No. 6 North Carolina women’s tennis team headed into the weekend needing turn its luck around against a pair of ACC teams from Florida after its first back-to-back losses in game play since 2012. 

No. 13 Miami visited Chapel Hill Friday night for a match that would prove to be a test for the Tar Heels, and trouble started early for UNC with the doubles point. 

Junior Hayley Carter and senior Whitney Kay avenged their first defeat of the season as a doubles team by winning 6-2. But senior Kate Vialle and first-year Jessie Aney fell 6-3 in their match, putting the weight on senior Ashley Dai and first-year Chloe Ouellet-Pizer. 

Dai and Ouellet-Pizer would power through to give UNC the doubles point with a 6-3 victory. Leading 1-0 going into singles, North Carolina needed three victories to secure the match. 

UNC quickly gained a 3-0 lead behind sophomore Cassandra Vazquez’s 6-2, 6-3 win and Aney’s 6-2, 6-1 victory, but momentum shifted quickly for the Tar Heels. Kay lost her match 3-6, 6-7 and sophomore Marika Akkerman fell in three sets 6-3, 1-6, 3-6. Miami suddenly slimmed UNC's lead to 3-2. 

Meanwhile, after dropping her first set 6-7 (10-8), Carter won her second set 6-0. Going into her third set, Carter had the momentum but had to take an injury timeout. She ended up losing the third set 5-7 but not without injury timeouts for both players and much controversy with the umpire’s calls from both sides. 

Once again, the weight of the match was put on Ouellet-Pizer. She lost her first set 5-7 but came back in the second set with a 7-5 victory. In the third set, the first-year kept her momentum to secure the victory 6-3 for her and a 4-3 win for the Tar Heels. 

Sunday was a much different story against Florida State. In doubles, Aney and Vialle won 6-3 and Carter and Kay came back from a 3-0 deficit to win 6-4 and quickly give the doubles point to UNC. 

In singles, Aney dominated 6-1, 6-0, Carter was victorious 6-1, 6-1 and Vazquez won 6-2, 6-2 to clinch the victory for North Carolina. 

Akkerman dropped the first match of the day 3-6, 1-6 followed by Kay’s victory of 6-3, 6-2. Ouellet-Pizer dropped the last match of the weekend 2-6, 4-6, resulting in 5-2 win for UNC. 

Quotable

“We really responded really well from our loss last weekend, really to the point where we had to not just out compete them. But we had to just weather any storm happening.” — Coach Brian Kalbas on his team's performance this weekend. 

Notable

North Carolina’s Ouellet-Pizer was down 5-7, 0-4 in her singles match against Miami, but she came all the way back to win the match. 

Three Numbers that matter

3: The number of matches that went three sets against Miami. 

5: UNC has defeated Miami in five straight matches. 

8: UNC has beaten Florida State in eight consecutive matches. 

What’s next?

North Carolina will head to Virginia at 3 p.m. on Friday followed by a match at Pittsburgh at 10 a.m. on Sunday. 

@MichaelFreije