UNC wrestling finds symmetry in weekend matches

The No. 16 North Carolina wrestling team saw two very different ends of the spectrum in its weekend matches against Oklahoma State and The Citadel.

The Tar Heels suffered a 33-6 defeat at the hands of the No. 5 Cowboys on Friday night before bouncing back to punish The Citadel 33-12 in a Sunday afternoon matchup. 

UNC (13-5) was held at bay for most of Friday night. Two North Carolina wrestlers picked up victories, while five Tar Heels suffered bonus-point losses. 

Oklahoma State's biggest win came when No. 12 Anthony Collica pinned No. 5 Evan Henderson in the 149-pound bout, marking the first time Henderson had been pinned since the 2013 NCAA Championships.

The Cowboys' Chandler Rogers also upset No. 2 Ethan Ramos in the 174-pound match. It was Ramos' third loss and his second in dual action against Rogers. 

The Tar Heels picked up a big upset of their own in the 141-pound bout, where No. 9 Joey Ward handed No. 1 Dean Heil a 3-1 loss in sudden victory. Sophomore Chip Ness was the only other Tar Heel to win his match. 

UNC flipped the script on Sunday afternoon in Charleston, S.C., seemingly taking the frustration from its Friday loss out on The Citadel. The Bulldogs only picked up two victories, while the Tar Heels picked up the other eight. 

Redshirt senior John Michael Staudenmayer and Ramos both pinned their opponents, while first-year James Szymanski, redshirt senior Alex Utley and Ness all won by major decision. 

Ward and Henderson rebounded from their losses against Oklahoma State to pick up wins at their respective weight classes, and redshirt first-year Cory Daniel concluded the match with a win in his heavyweight bout. 

Quotable

"(Oklahoma State) is a good team, and we have got to be a little tougher in some instances. We always go out there wanting to win, though. We learned a lot." — Coach Coleman Scott on his team's performance against the Cowboys on Friday.

Notable

Friday's match versus Oklahoma State marked Scott's first dual match against his alma mater as UNC's head coach. Scott was a four-time All-American and 2008 NCAA champion at 133 pounds during his career at Oklahoma State. 

Three numbers that matter

1: Ward’s victory over Heil is the only loss the top-ranked sophomore from Oklahoma State has suffered this season. 

5: After giving up five bonus-point victories to Oklahoma State on Friday, the Tar Heels picked up five bonus-point wins of their own on Sunday with two pins and three major decisions. 

33: The 33 points Oklahoma State tallied against UNC on Friday were the most the Tar Heels have allowed in a dual match all season. On the flip side, the 33 points North Carolina put up on The Citadel on Sunday are the most points UNC has scored all season. 

What’s Next?

The Tar Heels compete in the ACC Championships in Charlottesville, Va., on March 6. 

@James­_Tatter