Concerns raised over post-victory bonfires on Franklin Street

Students and Carolina basketball fans rush Franklin St. after defeating Duke. The students set bonfires to jump over.

Bruce Cairns, faculty chairperson and director of the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center, brought up his safety concerns at the Faculty Executive Committee meeting on March 6. He said bonfires are very dangerous.

“My bigger concern always is when you have a large number of people on Franklin Street, multiple fires and crowds so large, people can’t control if they get pushed in or not.”

Rosa Perelmuter, a member of the Faculty Executive Committee, said she agrees.

“Students don’t realize how many burns result from these bonfires,” Perelmuter said.

Since the bonfires occur on Franklin Street and not on campus, they are not within the jurisdiction of the University.

“I’m very concerned that there apparently is no ordinance that prohibits creation of the bonfires in the town of Chapel Hill,” Perelmuter said. “I would have thought it would be rather simple or logical for the town of Chapel Hill to have this, but there isn’t one.”

Chapel Hill Police Department spokesperson Joshua Mecimore said the Chapel Hill Fire Department regulates bonfires and a permit is necessary for open flame.

“Clearly, the bonfires are already unlawful. Once it is safe to do so, the fire department extinguishes bonfires. However, given the crowd sizes, it is not feasible to put out or stop every fire immediately,” he said in an email.

Laura Fellwock, a student co-chairperson of Carolina Fever, said she understands safety concerns.

“When you’re celebrating your victory over your greatest rivalry, safety really isn’t your first concern,” Fellwock said. “I mean I know it’s been a Carolina tradition, but it is a serious issue.”

Fellwock said she believes students would not be thrilled if the fires were prohibited.

“From a student perspective, students would say ‘Hey, they’re taking away our fun, we’re just trying to celebrate here.’”

But she said students might gradually become more receptive to the change.

“If it was brought up in the right way and a real conversation was had ... I think we could come to some kind of conclusion across the board that could help us ease into the decision,” Fellwock said.

Cairns said he thinks the administration should work with students and the town to come up with a solution.

“I’ve always been struck by the capacity of the student body to be leaders in their fields,” Cairns said. “I just can’t imagine that people wouldn’t work for a reasonable solution.”

Cairns said the images of celebration make him scared rather than excited.

“When I look at the pictures on the front page of The Daily Tar Heel, people jumping over the bonfire, I just see injury, I see tragedy. If something was to happen, we would not be asking what to do, we would be asking ‘how did we let this happen?’”

More in Student Life

More in University