'Hip Hop & Social Justice' blends activism and music

Local hip-hop artists, activists and poets Shirlette Ammons, Pierce Freelon and Josh Rowsey agree that music and activism are interconnected. 

The three delved into this through powerful live performances and deep panel discussions about music, race and social justice Wednesday night. The event, “Hip Hop & Social Justice,” was hosted by The Parr Center for Ethics and the Institute for the Arts and Humanities. Perry Hall, a professor of African, American and Diaspora studies, served as moderator. 

“I feel privileged to be an oral carrier of our people’s heritage,” Freelon said.

His performance involved spiritual song hooks, which he linked back to his African ancestors. He also improvised beats and performed a Captain America-themed spoken word paying homage to being black in America.

Rowsey, known by his stage name (J) Rowdy, is a familiar face on UNC’s campus due to his involvement with the Pit Cypher every Wednesday night. He rapped about issues like police brutality, while freestyling with random words from the dictionary. 

Ammons said she likes to defy the idea of genre, as many of her songs have strong rock undertones. One of the songs she performed hasn’t even been officially recorded yet.

During the panel, the three musicians discussed activism, rap consciousness, selling out and staying true to themselves.

“Consciousness has always been an undertone of black music and black culture,” Ammons said.

Rowsey said he is not a big fan of the word “conscious” and that most people associate conscious rappers as being boring.

“I think it’s more worth it to stay true to a message,” he said.

Rowsey said he thinks an artist shouldn’t let money dictate actions and music shouldn’t compromise values.

Freelon said although reaching audiences is important, how the music will resonate on a macro level is not as important as remaining authentic.

“When I think about my obligations as an artist, it’s first and foremost to speak my truths,” he said.

Ammons, Freelon and Rowsey said music has continued to — and always has — played a big role in social justice events, movements and rallies.

Ammons said the idea of love can also be a political act through conversations and policies.

“A love song is sometimes, within itself, a movement,” she said.

Freelon said music is what keeps the activists energized and motivated.

“When you’re an activist and you’re out there against police barricades, these things kind of chip away at your soul,” he said. “Music can be a fresh breath and can give you the energy to push through.”

Rowsey said Kendrick Lamar’s song, “Alright,” is a perfect example of a political song that bridges hip-hop and social justice, encompassing the Black Lives Matter Movement. 

“For us to exist in this world — to assert your visibility — is political,” Freelon said.

All three artists said they will remain authentic and true to themselves in a way that allows them to share their stories through music.

As Kendrick puts it in his song — they will be all right.

@MariaMullis2017