Joey Ward the lone bright spot for UNC wrestling in 2016 NCAA Tournament

But after the first day of competition, only one Tar Heel hadn’t suffered a loss. While redshirt junior Joey Ward reached the quarterfinals, the rest of his teammates faltered.

After reaching the semifinals in the 2015 NCAA Tournament, Ethan Ramos looked poised to end up there again. Crowned ACC Champion just a week earlier, Ramos was the No. 4 seed in the 174-pound weight class. But the 2015 All-American took two stunning losses to open the first day, exiting the tournament without a win.

Evan Henderson saw his day end in a similar fashion. After Henderson — a No. 8 seed at the 149-pound weight class — dropped his opener, the redshirt senior gave up a technical fall in wrestlebacks to end his day.

While three other Tar Heels won their consolation matches to advance to the second day of competition, Ward became the bright spot of the tournament for North Carolina.

Ward lost his quarterfinal match to top-seeded Dean Heil — the eventual 141-pound NCAA champion, who Ward had beaten earlier in the season in a dual match against Oklahoma State — but the redshirt junior battled back to win seventh place in the consolation bracket.

Ward was the only Tar Heel to earn All-American status this weekend, despite high hopes for numerous wrestlers entering the tournament. The Tar Heels finished with just 10 team points, tied for 32nd overall.

Quotable

“It’s a tough tournament. You can’t just show up at the national tournament and expect to win it. But you’ve got to live and learn, you can’t dwell on it. All you can do is improve from it.” — Coach Coleman Scott on his team’s performance in the NCAA Tournament.

Notable

Ramos lost his first match to Navy’s Jadaen Bernstein. Ramos defeated Bernstein at the Southern Scuffle earlier this season by injury default, but Bernstein proved too much for Ramos on Thursday.

3 numbers that matter

6:Ward had to wrestle six matches in three days to claim seventh place on Saturday. Despite some tough losses, Ward finished 4-2 in the tournament.

4: Despite a disappointing tournament, UNC has now had an All-American for four straight years.

1:02: Ward was down 1-0 at the end of his final match, but 1:02 of riding time sent the match into sudden victory overtime, where Ward clinched the victory.

What’s next?

This concludes the 2015-16 season for the UNC wrestling team. Scott will compete in the U.S. Wrestling Olympic Trials on April 9 and 10 in Iowa City, Iowa, for a spot on the national team that will compete in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

@_Brohammed