Morgan Lane leads the way in UNC gymnastics' last meet of regular season

Sophomore Morgan Lane outscored eleven gymnasts to capture first place on the balance beam, but the most important competitor she beat was herself. 

Lane, who is one of the top competitors at every meet for the Tar Heels, broke her previous career-best on the beam with a score of 9.950. 

Despite Lane’s impressive performance, the Tar Heels were unable to topple the No. 2 Florida Gators in their last meet of the regular season. With a score of 198.050-193.725, North Carolina left Gainesville, Fla., without a victory but took home a momentum they hope will carry them through the EAGL Championships that begin March 19. 

Many season-best scores were also set Friday on every event except floor.

Junior Christina Pheil, senior Lexi Cappalli and sophomore Madison Nettles all tied or improved previous scores, notching season-bests on the balance beam, vault and uneven bars, respectively. 

Lane added to her career-best scores with a 39.350 all-around, which put her in fourth place among all competitors. 

She hopes to continue improving on her own score rather than focus on the competition as the team prepares to make a run in the EAGL Championships.

Quotable

“I was pleased with how the team competed. Hopefully this will give us momentum headed into the EAGL Championships.” — Coach Derek Galvin on his team's performance. 

Notable

Lane has notched a first-place score in at least one event in the final five meets of the 2016 regular season. 

Three Numbers That Matter

2:  The Tar Heels have come in second place in five meets in a row. They haven't won a meet since their season-opener against William & Mary on Jan. 10. 

2: Two Gators scored perfect 10s in an event in their defeat of North Carolina Friday. 

5: The Tar Heels used just five competitors in both the vault and floor events due to injuries. UNC has has struggled with depth issues in 2016. 

What’s Next?

The Tar Heels travel to Pittsburgh on Saturday to compete in the EAGL Championships. 

@Kayleigh_Payne7