Platform: Prioritize digital and staff

Continuing our digital push

The DTH took a strong step to be digital first this past year — we need to sustain this effort, pushing to chase the cutting edge. I’d like to increase online-only content — space and interactivity are invaluable resources and are an opportunity to increase the DTH’s online presence and interact with our community. I want to revive the Diversions section as a biweekly print section and an online presence. When we cover local bands, why not have them play a set in our office and use the recording to accompany the article? We have so many opportunities for creativity that can be pursued while also involving the DTH in the community.

Reformatting print and online

The print and digital products should not exist in separate spheres, nor should they be exact copies. We need to play to the strengths of each medium, ditching the idea that a 16-inch print article is the default format to approach every story. We need to utilize more alternative-style articles in print and direct readers from the paper to supplementary online-only content.

Commitment to diversity

Our paper lacks in recruiting and retaining a diverse staff. We need a cognizant effort to bring diverse perspectives to the paper. Every time we hire, the DTH needs to reach out to every student group on campus to take a step toward a more well-rounded staff. The strongest way to retain a staff with diverse backgrounds and interests is to create an environment where staffers are comfortable raising ideas as well as concerns. I want to hear what they say we can do better.

Prioritizing our staff

As the DTH grows, both in the size of our staff and in the reaches of our growing digital ambitions, it’s more important than ever to prioritize our staff. We need to establish a harassment policy for the DTH. We need something visible and accessible — a formal channel where nothing is swept under the rug because someone didn’t know to whom they could turn. This is necessary for the DTH to maintain a professional atmosphere. I want One Act training to be a requirement for editors and encouraged for everyone. I want to create a board to serve as both a check to ensure these measures are properly functioning and as a point of contact for staffers.