UNC band turns playoff into dance-off

Marching Tar Heels trombone player Paul Beam dances during halftime to Flo Rida’s “Low” with fellow band members.

It was halftime for Roy Williams’ team, but the spotlight was on the Marching Tar Heels. The Providence College Pep Band challenged the UNC band to a dance-off, and they eagerly accepted.

But UNC trombone player Paul Beam, a sophomore media and journalism major from Belmont, was at the front and center of the action.

“I love to perform,” Beam said. “When I saw the cameras getting in our face, I was like, ‘Yes, this is my time to shine.’”

But Beam said he didn’t know his performance was going to be broadcast.

“I had no idea it was on TV until afterward, when my phone started blowing up,” he said.

Those who saw Beam and the rest of the Marching Tar Heels dancing to Flo Rida’s “Low” were watching a mostly impromptu performance.

“Providence challenged USC to a dance-off in their last game of the tournament, so we had a feeling it would happen again,” Beam said. “But we had no control over the songs that came on, so we just went with it.”

A few of the many people who saw Beam on TV were his girlfriend, Audrey Wells, and her family.

Wells is a junior public relations major from Hendersonville and a staff writer for The Daily Tar Heel. She said Beam’s performance was not out of character.

“I was surprised to see him on national TV, but I’m not surprised that he did it,” she said. “That’s a very Paul thing to do.”

Wells said she had to explain some of his dance moves to her mother.

“I was dying laughing, but she didn’t get why he slapped his butt during ‘Low,’” she said. “I had to explain it’s part of the song.”

Maverick Hart, a sophomore political science and romance languages major from Asheville, was also a band member who was in the middle of the dancing action. He said he was excited to represent UNC in a big way.

“I just wanted to get out there and support my university and have a little fun,” said Hart. “In the moment, you have to have fun and enjoy yourself.”

Hart said he received dozens of calls and text messages after the dance was over.

“My grandmother called and said, ‘I saw you — that’s my grandbaby right there,’” he said.

Although announcer Reggie Miller picked Providence as the winner, the win was contested as fans battled for the title on social media.

Hart said he’s ready for another round.

“I’m hoping Indiana will bring their best dancers,” he said. “I didn’t get the exact song choice I wanted last time, so I hope this round they’ll have a better playlist.”

Win or lose, Beam said the Marching Tar Heels accomplished their goal.

“The whole point of bands is to keep the crowd engaged and entertained. I’m pretty sure we succeeded.”

@marisahdunn