UNC softball fails to close against top teams in Judi Garman Classic

Kristen Brown (12) tosses off the ball during the softball game against Georgetown University on February, 28.

When it came time to finish the job in California, the North Carolina softball team was stuck looking around for the closing deal that never came.

UNC played five different schools during the weekend in the Judi Garman Classic, losing to No. 2 Michigan, California, Oregon State and Cal State Fullerton, while defeating Long Beach State. 

The Tar Heels led in three of the five games on the weekend and were tied with Michigan going into the bottom of the fifth inning, but UNC held onto a lead just once. Coach Donna Papa was discouraged with her team’s inability to close out games. 

“It’s really frustrating when you have leads and you can’t finish the game,” Papa said. “We should’ve come out of here 3-2, but we’re leaving 1-4.”

Kendra Lynch started all five games in the circle for the Tar Heels, producing what Papa described as a “gutsy” performance throughout the weekend. The junior pitching 24 2/3 innings with 19 strikeouts and eight walks, earning the decision in every contest. 

Lynch often pitched well to open games throughout the weekend, only to falter in later innings. Through four innings, Lynch allowed only one run against Long Beach State and zero runs against Oregon State — but from the fifth inning on, she allowed four runs and five runs, respectively, as the hitters adjusted to her stuff. 

“I hit my spots on the corners and got batters to chase pitches,” Lynch said. “But I got tired as the game went on and didn’t do as well with that.”

Senior Lauren Fuller was solid in relief of Lynch throughout the weekend, but UNC was missing its other pitcher — sophomore lefty Sydney Matzko — the entire weekend due to injury. Papa said Matzko’s absence contributed to Lynch’s heavy workload, allowing opposing hitters to key in on Lynch late in games. 

“We have three pitchers,” Papa said. “And when one goes down, and you’re playing in a tournament with three top-25 (caliber) teams, it’s tough.”

Offensively, UNC cashed in seven home runs throughout the weekend to generate instant offense — but also left a total of 31 runners on base through all five games. 

Senior shortstop Kristen Brown led the way for UNC with three home runs. Her go-ahead blast in the top of the seventh inning in UNC’s final game of the weekend against Cal State Fullerton broke UNC’s record for total bases in a career. 

“It’s pretty cool,” Brown said on breaking the record. “I know there were a lot of great hitters behind me (in the record book) that I needed to pass.”

With the conference-opener against Syracuse this weekend, Papa said the team needs to figure out how to close out games to be successful. The only problem is she can’t diagnose the problem.

“To be honest, I don’t really know, because it’s a different person every time,” Papa said. “We’ve tried different players, different lineups, but the result is always the same.”

@sjdoughton