What to know about Indiana, which faces UNC in the Sweet 16

Justin Jackson (44) drives towards the basket.

After beating fourth-seeded Kentucky 73-67 on Saturday, the fifth-seeded Hoosiers advanced to the Sweet 16 in Philadelphia, where they’ll face the top-seeded Tar Heels.

When Indiana met UNC in the 1984 East Regional semifinal, the Hoosiers secured a 72-68 win over North Carolina and ended Michael Jordan’s college career.

Here are three things to note about this year’s Indiana squad, which will play UNC at approximately 9:57 p.m. on Friday at the Wells Fargo Center. The game will be televised by TBS.

Not your average bear

Indiana guard Yogi Ferrell leads the Hoosiers’ offensive attack, averaging 17.1 points and 5.6 assists per game.

The senior’s success has carried into the NCAA Tournament, where he’s leading Indiana with 19 points per game. In the Hoosiers’ first-round win over Chattanooga, he recorded his first career double-double with 20 points and 10 assists.

Ferrell’s play has garnered him national attention, and he was recently named one of five finalists for the Bob Cousy Award — which is given to the best point guard in college basketball.

3-point theatrics

Despite shooting 6-for-21 on 3-pointers in their win over Kentucky, the Hoosiers have been one of the best teams in the country from behind the arc this season.

Indiana is fifth in the nation in 3-point field goal percentage (41.6), 13th in 3-point field goals made per game (9.8) and tied for ninth in total 3-point field goals made (332). The Tar Heels, meanwhile, rank 303rd in 3-point field goal percentage (31.4).

Indiana’s success from behind the 3-point line could pose a problem for UNC. Opponents shoot 35.4 percent on 3-pointers against the Tar Heels, which ranks 233rd in the country.

Reaping rebounds

While the Hoosiers have a 3-point shooting advantage, both teams thrive on the offensive boards. According to KenPom.com, UNC and Indiana are fourth and 15th, respectively, in offensive rebounding percentage.

But both teams struggle to limit opposing teams on the offensive boards, ranking 182nd and 124th in opponent offensive rebounding percentage.

The team that hauls in the most offensive boards and takes advantage of its second-chance opportunities could be the one that comes out on top Friday.

@patjames24