13 former Tar Heels prepare for NBA playoffs

The North Carolina men’s basketball team lost in the national championship game less than two weeks ago, but postseason play is just getting underway for 13 former Tar Heels.

With the NBA playoffs set to begin on Saturday, Matt Norlander of CBS Sports analyzed the 16 playoff teams’ rosters and concluded UNC boasts the most former players in this year’s competition.

North Carolina has four more former players in this NBA postseason than Duke and UCLA, which are tied for the second-most former players participating with nine apiece.

Here’s a look at the 13 former Tar Heels vying for this year's NBA title.

Memphis Grizzlies

Vince Carter (1995-98)

In his 18th NBA season, Carter is playing in the playoffs for the third straight year. He averaged 6.6 points and 2.4 rebounds per game during the regular season while shooting 34.9 percent on 3-pointers.

P.J. Hairston (2011-13)

After being traded from the Charlotte Hornets to the Grizzlies in February, Hairston is appearing in the NBA playoffs for the first time in his two-year career. He averaged 6.2 points and 2.6 rebounds per game during the regular season.

Brandan Wright (2006-07)

In his eighth NBA season, Wright is making his third postseason appearance. He averaged 6.9 points and 3.6 rebounds per game during the regular season and finished second on the Grizzlies with 1.25 blocks per contest.

Golden State Warriors

Harrison Barnes (2010-12)

Having reached the NBA playoffs in his first three seasons, Barnes is back in the postseason with the Warriors, hoping to help defend their 2014-15 title. In Golden State’s record-breaking 73-win regular season, he averaged 11.7 points and 4.9 rebounds per game.

James Michael McAdoo (2011-14)

After playing in five NBA playoff games as a rookie, McAdoo returns to the postseason for the second straight year. In limited minutes, he averaged 2.9 points and 1.4 rebounds per game during the regular season.

Charlotte Hornets

Tyler Hansbrough (2005-09)

In his first season in Charlotte, Hansbrough reached the NBA playoffs for the sixth time during his seven-year career. The ACC’s all-time leading scorer averaged 2.4 points and two rebounds per game during the Hornets’ regular season.

Marvin Williams (2004-05)

Williams has undergone a career rebirth in his 11th NBA season. He averaged 11.7 points and 6.4 rebounds per game during his second year in Charlotte. This marks his first postseason appearance since the 2011-12 season with the Atlanta Hawks.

San Antonio Spurs

Danny Green (2005-09)

Having reached the NBA playoffs in five straight seasons, Green helped lead San Antonio to the second-best record in the league this season and the No. 2 seed in the Western Conference. He averaged 7.2 points per game and shot 33.2 percent on 3-pointers.

Indiana Pacers

Ty Lawson (2006-09)

Lawson reached a buyout with the Houston Rockets on March 1 and signed with Indiana as a free agent four days later. In 13 regular-season games with the Pacers, he averaged 4.9 points and 4.4 assists per game.

Dallas Mavericks

Raymond Felton (2002-05)

Felton is appearing in the NBA playoffs for the fifth time in his 11-year career. He averaged 9.5 points and 3.6 assists per game during the regular season to help lead Dallas to the No. 6 seed in the Western Conference.

Detroit Pistons

Reggie Bullock (2010-13)

Bullock is making his first NBA playoff appearance since he reached the 2014 postseason as a rookie with the Los Angeles Clippers. In his first season in Detroit, he averaged 3.3 points per game and shot a career-high 41.5 percent from 3-point distance.

Portland Trailblazers

Ed Davis (2008-10)

In his first season in Portland, Davis reached the playoffs for the third time in his six-year NBA career. He averaged 6.5 points per game during the regular season and finished second on the Trailblazers in rebounds and blocks per game.

Boston Celtics

Tyler Zeller (2008-12)

After reaching the NBA playoffs for the first time in his career a season ago, Zeller helped Boston earn the No. 5 seed in the Eastern Conference entering this postseason. He averaged 6.1 points and three rebounds per game during the regular season.

@patjames24