Carrboro hosts third annual Open Streets event

Every April, once the ground has thawed and the flowers have bloomed, Carrboro closes off Weaver Street for its annual Open Streets event — and this year Open Streets celebrated its third event on Sunday.

This year's event featured a climbing wall, face painting, a bike blender and a zumba class and encouraged people to walk and dance through the opened street. 

The event is sponsored by the Carrboro Bicycle Coalition.

Joanne Gardner, board member of the Bicycle Alliance of Chapel Hill, said the event aims to encourage biking in the community that follows Carrboro's Comprehensive Bicycle Transportation Plan.

“We aim to help people get from point-to-point on their bicycle safely,” Gardner said. 

According to Gardner, both Carrboro and Chapel Hill have put cycling on their agendas either by marking out lanes on existing roads or planning greenways that allow greater access between the two towns. 

Gardner said she joined the organization when she moved to the Triangle to get acquainted with the community and to support a safe and social way for residents to reduce their carbon footprints. 

“We really believe that cycling is a great way for people to get out and about,” she said.

UNC's Department of City and Regional Planning also attended the event with a booth set up beside a lively zumba class.

In partnership with Carrboro, the department was conducting an analysis of the event’s attendees and their impact on the town’s businesses. 

“We’re surveying and counting,” said Ritam Chakraborty, a student in the department. “Trying to find what people think about Open Streets.” 

Chakaborty said UNC and Carrboro are openly collaborating on accessibility development that would make biking safer and the streets more walkable.

In addition to families, UNC students and local pets were also enjoying the festivities. 

According to resident Jamie Mace and UNC sophomore Samantha Farley, the dogs were the day’s highlight. 

“Open Streets is a nice way to calm down and unwind with our furry friends,” Mace said. 

Farley said the event was very family-oriented.

While Weaver Street is again open to cars, it’s clear that Carrboro’s planners and residents are making room for other ways to get around.