Construction set to begin on Rosemary Street May 16

Renovations will officially kick off on May 16 if the Town Council approves the plan. These renovations consist of replacing curbs and gutters, driveway aprons and sidewalk and curb ramps. Orange Water and Sewer Authority will be replacing some water lines on East Rosemary Street as well. Repaving will take place in early fall.

Emily Cameron, project manager for the curb, gutter and streetscape improvements to Rosemary Street, said in an email that the construction should be done by Oct. 1.

“If we do not have an unusually rainy summer or an active hurricane season, the goal is to finish the curb, gutter and sidewalk work by October 1, so the repaving can start and finish before colder weather arrives,” Cameron said.

During the summertime renovations, Cameron said most of the work would not require the street to be completely closed. But when repaving begins, the road will be closed in order for the street to be resurfaced.

“There may be lane closures during replacement of curb and gutter, with a plan in place for directing one-way traffic as needed,” Cameron said. Pedestrians will be directed to the other side of the street for sidewalk renovations.

Cameron said the town is still communicating to business owners along Rosemary Street about where the construction will be and how that might affect their business. One of the main concerns is limited access to houses and businesses along Rosemary.

“The contractor will make every effort to minimize disruption to access to and from adjacent properties,” Cameron said.

Cameron said business owners have been very cooperative and supportive of the planned improvements so far.

Corey LaPrade, manager at Chapel Hill restaurant Pantana Bob’s, said he isn’t worried about construction hurting business.

“I think we’ll be fine,” LaPrade said. “Summer is slow, anyway.”

LaPrade also said most customers haven’t had problems with construction projects in the past.

Spring Council, the manager at Mama Dip’s, a restaurant in Chapel Hill, said she doesn’t think profits will be impacted by the construction.

Council said previous renovations have helped business and the renovations are beneficial to a part of town that needs to some beautification.

“I’m all for it if they talk about beautification and widening and making the sidewalks safer,” Council said.

@Brookenf1