Justin Jackson, Kennedy Meeks submit names for NBA draft, will not hire agents

Guard Justin Jackson (44) shoots from underneath the basket. 

North Carolina men's basketball players Justin Jackson and Kennedy Meeks will enter the NBA draft, but neither player will hire an agent at this time, UNC announced on Friday.

Players have until April 24 to declare for the NBA draft, and the deadline for them to withdraw their names from the draft list and maintain their college eligibility is May 25 — 10 days after the NBA draft combine.

Because neither Jackson nor Meeks has hired an agent yet, both players could still return to the Tar Heels for the 2016-17 season.

“Justin and Kennedy have our complete support in taking this step,” said Coach Roy Williams in a statement.” Any player who is thinking about playing in the NBA next season should gather as much information as they can about their possible draft position. 

"We will continue to support and assist them over the next month to obtain the information that will help them decide whether they should remain in the draft or return to UNC next season.”

Jackson, a sophomore, finished fourth on the team in scoring with 12.2 points per game during the 2015-16 season. He also averaged 3.9 rebounds per game.

Meeks, a junior, averaged 9.2 points and 5.9 rebounds in 33 games. The forward missed seven games because of a bone bruise on his left knee.

Shortly after UNC announced Jackson and Meeks were submitting their names for the NBA draft, point guard Joel Berry took to Twitter to announce he will return for his junior season.

As a sophomore, Berry finished second on the team with 12.8 points per game. He also led the Tar Heels with 3.8 assists per game, 1.5 steals per game and a 38.2 3-point percentage.