New pickleball courts draw players to Chapel Hill

One of the nation’s fastest growing sports is growing in Chapel Hill. 

On Saturday, six new pickleball courts opened for play at Ephesus Elementary School. People of all ages attended the grand opening, with retirees and schoolchildren mixing freely on court. 

According to Brad Hemminger, a UNC professor and Chapel Hill Mayor Pam Hemminger's husband, pickleball is easy to learn and continue to play as one gets older. 

“People of all ages play,” Brad Hemminger said, “and talk and joke with each other.” 

As Brad Hemminger spoke, a middle schooler deftly passed a shot by Martin Eagle, a retired musician, and scored a point. After his game, Eagle spoke highly of pickleball. 

“I’m addicted, I became addicted about two years ago,” he said. “I’m making no attempt to stop my addiction.” 

For Eagle, pickleball is more than just a pastime. 

“The ethos of the game seems to be acceptance,” he said. “It’s easy to learn and it’s so social.” 

The new courts stand to anchor the pickleball community in Chapel Hill. 

The courts were previously underused tennis courts, according to Pam Hemminger. 

More than 600 people had signed up for the Chapel Hill pickleball league, Pam Hemminger said, which encouraged the town to build. 

“Anything that we can do to get people away from cars and computers we will do,” Hemminger said.