No. 3 UNC women's lacrosse clinch ACC title with win over No. 4 Syracuse

Ela Hazer (7) looks for an open pass over a Virginia Tech defender.

The North Carolina women's lacrosse team was pushed to the brink.

But on Saturday, No. 3 UNC picked up its third straight win over a top-five opponent with a 12-11 victory against No. 4 Syracuse at the Carrier Dome to clinch the ACC regular-season title.

The Tar Heels (12-2, 6-0 in the ACC) and the Orange (12-4, 4-2 in the ACC) battled in a shootout early in the first half. Syracuse got the scoring started, but Kelly Devlin and Sammy Jo Tracy netted goals just 34 seconds apart to put UNC on top, 2-1.

But less than two minutes into the game, Syracuse had already shoveled in a second goal of their own.

North Carolina opened up a 4-2 lead as Tracy scored her second goal of the game, followed by a quick goal from Marie McCool. But the hot-handed Tar Heels quickly went cold, going on a 20-minute scoring drought.

In that time, the Orange fired off five straight goals to pull ahead, 7-4.

The last two minutes of the first half saw UNC regain the scoring touch that it had in the first two minutes. The Tar Heels reeled off three goals -- including two from Ela Hazar -- to pull within one goal at halftime.

Syracuse stormed out to a 10-7 lead to start the second half, but the Tar Heels went on a 5-0 run -- including two goals from Carly Reed.

The final 10 minutes were a defensive standoff between the ACC's top two teams. After the Orange's goal at the 10:54 mark, both teams were held scoreless and the Tar Heels held on for the win.

Notable

After the win on Saturday afternoon, North Carolina is now 6-2 against ranked teams on the season. The Tar Heels close out the season against No. 13 Duke and have the opportunity to go undefeated in ACC play, having already captured the top seed in the ACC tournament for the second year in a row.

Three numbers that matter

9: UNC has pulled off nine straight victories since its loss to No. 1 Maryland on March 12. The team has one game left in the regular season to close out a potentially perfect ACC record.

6: Hazar’s six points against Syracuse tied for the second-most points in a game by any Tar Heel this season. Her four assists set a season high for UNC.

3: Reed’s three goals were more than she scored in any game a season ago.

What’s next?

North Carolina will host No. 13 Duke at 2 p.m. on Saturday to close out the regular season.

@James_Tatter