On View Near You for April 20, 2016

Ackland Art Museum: Depth Perception

The Ackland Art Museum will show "Depth Perception," an exhibit exploring how people perceive the world around them and how they identify within it. The collection is headed by six MFA candidates in the UNC Department of Art, who use a variety of mediums to create their work.

Kelly McChesney, who curated the exhibit, said audiences will be able to explore the themes of inspiration each artist has been working with throughout the past year. 

“The audiences will bring their own histories, emotions and beliefs to the work. This is a co-creative process between the viewer and the artwork," she said. "Attempting to understand why the artists have chosen to make these works makes the viewer reconstruct the image and bring to the work their own ideas and artistic imaginations.”

The exhibit premiers tonight with an opening celebration at the Ackland from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. The exhibit will be run through June 5.

FRANK: Visible Spectrum: Portraits from the World of Autism

FRANK Gallery is presenting "Visible Spectrum: Portraits from the World of Autism" for their annual Diversabilities exhibition. The exhibit features photographs by Mary Berridge, a local award-winning photographer.

Berridge said her photographs resist stereotypes and portray the unique qualities of people on the autism spectrum.

“The aesthetic choices that I make, such as using soft natural light, quiet color and often subtle gestures, convey feelings about people on the autism spectrum, who I found often have a sort of unfiltered other-worldy innocence and fragility that is incredibly charming and endearing,” she said.

Berridge will give an artists talk on the exhibit on April 28 at 7 p.m. in FRANK Gallery. The exhibit will run until May 8. 

ArtsCenter: Works in Clay from ArtsCenter Kids’ Classes

The ArtsCenter is currently showing "Works in Clay" from ArtsCenter Kids’ Classes in the Corridor Gallery. Artist Jason Abide’s sculpture and wheel-thrown pottery classes have cultivated young artists over the past few years and is now displaying some of their works for the month of April. 

ArtsCenter Youth Education Coordinator Jesse Hollars said Abide has seen many of his students progress as artists. 

"He has a pretty solid group of students that have been working with him for several years now, so it’s been fun to see them progress,” she said.

The exhibit is on display through April 30.