A bout of wind can’t stop race day.

The North Carolina rowing team had three gold medal finishes on Sunday at the Occoquan Sprints in Virginia despite nearly 20 mile-per-hour headwinds and two-hour delays. 

The Tar Heels had participants in several events, including in their first place finishes in the women’s novice 8+, the women’s varsity 4+ and the women’s varsity 8+. The program also received a silver medal for the women’s second varsity 8+ team’s second place finish. 

As for the men, UNC’s novice 4+ team placed in first, ahead of Loyola University, as the varsity 8+ team came in second, behind Delaware.

Overall, Coach Sarah Haney was pleased with her athletes’ performances and how they handled conditions that were less than ideal. 

“I thought our teams performed exceptionally well today,” Haney said. “Some of the race times were uncertain and there were just a lot of questions about conditions. The fact that they didn’t let any of those things deter what they came to achieve today, I thought that they did exceptionally well with that.”

The women’s varsity 8+ team beat out Grand Valley State University by just 2.61 seconds, but it doesn’t matter to senior Victoria McGee, because a win is a win. 

McGee, who is one of the team’s captains, participated as a member of the varsity 8+ group that she is very proud of.

“I thought we killed it,” she said. “We had a couple bad practices this week and yesterday morning our row group just really came back together as a boat. It’s just really exciting to see visibles from the work that we put in and it’s just great, it’s such a great feeling.”

McGee said she was happy, but tired after the day’s events, after working against a wind that slows down the boats, as well as makes taking off difficult.

“I think the team overall did a great job today, both the varsity and honors program,” McGee said. “Headwinds really affect your time and other technical things during the race and I think as a team we handled it really well today. We just really, really raced well.”

Ahead of next weekend’s Knecht Cup being held in New Jersey, Haney said her team gained a great insight today into the teams UNC will see on April 9 and 10. 

“We saw a lot of the teams today that we will see next weekend,” she said. “I think it just gives us a big load of confidence, going into one of our most challenging races. They made exceptional changes this year and they’ve really done a tremendous job as a team, really proving themselves.”

@Nicole_Caporaso