Senior releases fifth self-published novel

Perry Morrison, a senior majors in Communications at UNC-CH, is a student author and has a book that will come out on Apr.1.

“I saw ‘Toy Story,’ and I told my dad that I wanted to work with Pixar. Well, I can’t draw, and I can’t paint, but I guess my fascination with Pixar was the story,” he said.

This is especially clear today. The senior, who goes by pen name B.P. Morrison, just published his fifth book, “The Governess and Other Stories.”

Inspired by an exhibit at the Bodleian Library while studying abroad, Morrison has been writing books throughout his undergraduate career. But his writing took a turn when he decided to cut publishing costs by making the process more self-sufficient.

“I taught myself Photoshop and designed the cover. I formatted myself, I copy edited myself,” Morrison said.

But money is not his main goal.

“I still haven’t broken even yet,” he said. “I write because it makes me happier than anything else.”

Also an actor, Morrison said his writing is also inspired by films. Just this year, he has seen 91 films.

“Most of the movies I see, I see for the stories,” he said.

Two films, “Far from the Madding Crowd” and “Crimson Peak,” inspired his recent book, “The Governess and Other Stories.” Morrison said the films moved him to emulate publishing company Penguin Classics’ structures.

“I was determined to write a gothic romance,” he said.

Morrison also promises a twist, a main feature of all his books.

“It may or may not get super twisted and bloody at the end,” he said.

Junior Isaac Beverly, who met Morrison while staying in the same residence hall, said Morrison’s books have surprises and suspense. Beverly is primarily an actor but has also written a screenplay and a one-man show, which is why Morrison asked him to read through some of his works.

“He’s really good at self-promoting,” Beverly said. “He said, ‘Isaac, how about you read my book?’”

Beverly also said Morrison is very serious about his writing, and he thinks he will go far as an author.

“There’s times when I see him, and he’s so in the zone,” Beverly said. “He’s so focused, and that’s something I really respect about him.”

Morrison has also sought writing advice from one of his friends, senior Summer Winkler.

Winkler said she agreed with Beverly’s take on Morrison.

“He’s super determined. He’s just written so many things,” Winkler said. “A lot of our friendship has been based off of that common interest.”

Morrison himself said he considers himself a determined person.

“I don’t know how to not write. “I’m actually starting another book today,” he said.

Morrison’s creativity is reflected in his past books. His latest work channels a female fictional narrator and author Eleanor Wren.

“I’m a very conservative liver, so I don’t take a lot of risks in my life, but I take the biggest risks in my writing,” Morrison said. “I take a lot of creative risks. I’m a progressive writer. I don’t shy away from anything.

@catealspaugh