Student musicians grapple with how to spend their summers

Ellis Dyson and the Shambles, a popular local band made up of UNC students, has been together for the past three years. Dyson, who is graduating in May, said he and his bandmates have avoided making that decision by balancing both.

“We’ve done what we do during the semester — play gigs when we can, while we’re all working,” he said. “Once you get going and you’re playing, you can’t really just stop. You have a fan base, and you have to keep playing shows so people stay interested.”

He also added that having several people able to fill in if needed have allowed them to tour more.

Timmy Cooper, a member of another student band, Below the Line, said his band has had the advantage of living close to one another.

“We were a band before we actually came to Chapel Hill. We’re actually all from around the Winston-Salem area, so we write lots of songs and play even more shows (in the summer) than during the school year. We do shows mostly around Winston but also in Chapel Hill, Raleigh and Charlotte,” he said. “It’s a little more natural for us than some bands because distance (from each other) isn’t an issue. It gives us time to get back to the music.”

Dyson says the Shambles will keep doing what they’re doing in the future.

“We’ll keeping chugging away like we do. Some of us are graduating, some are staying behind, so we’ll have to work through that,” he said. “A good, influential agent that could get us some gigs would be great.”

This summer, Below the Line will be working on new music.

“This summer, we’re devoting a lot more time to original music. We’re trying to get out a new EP this fall,” Cooper said. “We want to make a gradual change to more originals, as opposed to covers. We’re not going to become an all-original band because people like to hear what they know.”

University Career Services Associate Director Jeff Sackaroff said there is no one right way for bands to spend their summers.

“It would depend on what they want to do after they graduate. I wouldn’t want to make a blanket statement. It depends on the students’ interests after graduation, what opportunities are available to them and how music factors into their professional goals,” he said.

Sackaroff said while there are risks students take by not going the traditional path and working an internship or job during the summer, there are also opportunities in choosing to tour or put out an album.

“I think being involved with a band allows one to develop time management and communication skills. Putting together an album, sticking with a band and going on tour foster many valuable skills that would be desirable to employers,” Sackaroff said.

@Leah_Moore1