'The Huntsman: Winter's War' premieres early at the Varsity

As two evil sisters prepare to conquer the kingdom, renegades Eric the Huntsman and Sara the Warrior set out to stop them. 

And UNC students and the general public can see it unfold two weeks in advance at the Varsity Theatre.

The Varsity will hold a free screening of "The Huntsman: Winter's War" Thursday at 7:30 p.m. 

And courtesy of Universal Pictures, the first 100 people to show up will receive free giveaways, including T-shirts, cups, access cards for a free online game, called "The Huntsman: Winter's Curse," and other items.

Like "Steve Jobs," which was shown in October, "The Huntsman" is premiering early at UNC as part of the partnership between the Varsity and Universal Studios. 

“UNC students should come out and see the film because it is an exciting, live-action reimagining of the world of 'Snow White,'” said Max Levin, a UNC senior, who is managing the event. “It is partly a prequel to the last 'Snow White and the Huntsman' film and partly a sequel."

UNC senior Kanny Morgan, a friend of Levin’s, said she is excited these early screenings frequently arrive in Chapel Hill.

“My friend is the one setting up the event, so I'm really excited to come see the show and support him,” Morgan said.

The prequel to "Snow White and the Huntsman," the film centers around several different characters in the series. Snow White is not mentioned or cast in the film, but the main focus is on the tension between the evil queen from the first movie and her sister, as well as the residents of the land who fight against them.

“The movie focuses much less on Snow White herself and instead centers on the Evil Queen's nicer sister and her travels and travails with the Hunstman in the hinterlands of the North,” Levin said. 

Senior Grace Taylor said she is excited to see Charlize Theron appear in the movie. 

“I'm probably most excited that the movie features multiple badass female characters."