UNC baseball gets back on track with 17-2 win over William & Mary

On the heels of a two-game losing streak, the North Carolina baseball team got things going early Wednesday night at Boshamer Stadium, plating seven runs in the first two innings en route to a 17-2 win over William & Mary. 

The Tar Heels (26-12) showed patience at the plate, drawing three straight walks to open the game and totaling five in the first two innings. 

With UNC drawing walks early, it had plenty of baserunners. And the Tar Heels took advantage. 

With runners in scoring position, the North Carolina hitters were a sizzling 9-for-18 at the plate. 

Although it was an all-around performance from the UNC lineup, with five players recording two hits, it was right fielder Brandon Riley who led the way with two hits, three RBIs and four runs scored. 

Although the lineup was the talk of the night, the pitching staff did its job, as well, keeping the Tribe (17-20) from scoring in eight of the nine innings.

Jason Morgan got the start on the mound for Coach Mike Fox after a disappointing effort in a loss to Virginia on Sunday. Morgan came out firing on all cylinders, tossing three perfect innings to begin the game and helping the Tar Heels hold the lead. 

The bullpen pitched five blemish-free innings in relief, allowing no runs on just three hits. 

Quotable

"Tonight we were just focused on, you know, from the first pitch to our first at-bat to the last at-bat just trying to jump on them, treating it like it was our last game of the season." — Riley on his team's intensity Wednesday night.

Notable

The Tar Heels' 17 runs matched a season-high. UNC hit the mark for the first time on March 15, when it defeated East Carolina 17-4. 

Three numbers that matter

218: William & Mary threw 218 pitches, an average of 27.25 per inning. 

24: UNC had 24 at-bats with a runner on base and picked up 12 hits on such occasions.  

2: Only two Tar Heel starters, Adam Pate and Eli Sutherland, left the game without a hit. The other seven starters combined for 12 hits. 

What's next?

The Tar Heels travel to Winston-Salem this weekend to take on the Wake Forest Demon Deacons in a three-game series. Game 1 of the series is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. on Friday. 

@davidrallenjr