UNC men's soccer player Nico Melo sings national anthem ahead of Final Four

HOUSTON — Who would have thought being forced to sing at the 2015 Rammy Awards would send you to the Final Four?

Certainly not North Carolina men’s soccer player Nico Melo, who did just that, singing the national anthem along with student-athletes from Syracuse, Villanova and Oklahoma ahead of the first Final Four game Saturday night.

“We obviously got to the Final Four and they contacted me right away like, ‘Hey would you want to do it?’ And I had no idea (what they were talking about),” said Melo, a redshirt junior midfielder. “People were calling me like, ‘Are you going to do it?’

And I was like, ‘What, the Rammys again?’”

No, Nico. The Final Four. In Houston, Texas. At NRG Stadium. With thousands and thousands of people — including President George H. W. Bush and Vice President Joe Biden — in attendance watching you.

No big deal for an accomplished singer such as yourself, right?

“(I) never sing, besides in the shower and in my room,” he said, laughing.

Melo said he’s only sang in public once before, at the 2015 Rammy Awards when he sang “Ordinary People,” by John Legend with sophomore teammate David October accompanying him on the keyboard.

He doesn’t read music and he had no idea what Houston Symphony Chorus Manager Anna Diemer was talking about when she asked him about octaves.

“I was like, ‘I don’t know any of that. You’re going to have to record someone singing it and I’m going to have to try to match it,’” Melo said.

Diemer talked with the four student-athletes — which included Chevis Armstead II of Syracuse, Karlie Crispin of Villanova and Madison Ward of Oklahoma — over FaceTime and told them their parts four days before taking the court.

On Friday, the four met for the first time and spent two hours practicing and harmonizing with each other before spending most of the day Saturday practicing in a green room.

Then it was time to take the court.

“Out of nowhere you’re in front of thousands and thousands of people,” Melo said. “All eyes on you. It’s quiet. So it’s really nerve-racking.”

So much so that Melo said he was more nervous about his performance than the UNC-Syracuse game scheduled to tip off just a few hours later.

“I trust our guys,” he said. “I think they’re going to play great. I think they’re going to win it.”

@CarlosACollazo