UNC men's tennis has 36-match home win streak snapped against No. 6 Wake Forest

The No. 1 North Carolina men’s tennis team came into its match on Sunday against No. 6 Wake Forest looking to prove it's the dominant force in the ACC this season. 

But after jumping out to a 3-1 lead, UNC couldn't close the door, eventually falling to the Demon Deacons 4-3. 

The Tar Heels (21-2, 6-2 ACC) took an early lead over Wake Forest (24-4, 8-1 ACC). After junior Ronnie Schneider and redshirt-senior Andrew Gores lost their match 6-1, juniors Brayden Schnur and Jack Murray won their match 6-3. Senior Brett Clark and sophomore Robert Kelly would again clinch the doubles point for their team with a 6-4 victory. 

The Demon Deacons would quickly even the score following a straight-set loss by first-year Anu Kodali, 6-0, 6-3. Schnur continued his dominant play this weekend, winning his match in straight sets and giving his team back the lead. Clark followed up with a straight-sets win of his own, leaving the Tar Heels with a 3-1 lead and on the doorstep of their second statement win in a row. 

That's when things took a turn.

Schneider found himself in a familiar place — battling in a grueling third set. After taking the first set 6-4 and dropping the second set 6-1, he was looking to rally to give his team the victory. After trailing 5-2, he would pull to within one game before ultimately dropping the deciding set 6-4. 

That left only Murray and Kelly with a chance to finish off the victory.

Murray was in a battle with 6-foot-8 Wake Forest redshirt-sophomore Christian Seraphim. Murray took the first set 6-3, and lost a tight second set 7-5. In the third set, Murray appeared too tired to continue to battle the power serve of Seraphim and lost 6-3. 

Murray's loss left Kelly the last remaining Tar Heel who could bring home the victory.

He also started out his match well, winning a first-set tiebreaker 7-4. After dropping the second set 6-2, he and senior Romain Bogaerts, who was an All-American a year ago, would have to go to a third-set tiebreaker to decide the match. 

Kelly fought off five match points, but would ultimately lose the tiebreaker 7-5, falling to the ground as the other members of the Wake Forest team stormed the court in celebration. 

Quotable

“We’ve got a lot of talent on this team, a lot of heart, we all know each other, we’re a bunch of brothers. The heart today, we didn’t come out with the result… If this was a NCAA tournament, the end of the season, sure, it would have been a different outcome.” — Kelly on what the team can learn about themselves following the loss.

Notable

This is the Tar Heels first loss this season to a ranked opponent. 

Three numbers that matter

36: The number of consecutive home wins the team had before Sunday’s loss. 

5: The number of tiebreakers the Tar Heels played in the two matches this weekend, winning four of them. 

6: The number of three-set matches the team competed in during the two games this weekend. 

What’s next?

The Tar Heels will head to South Bend, Ind., to take on Notre Dame at 3:30 p.m. on Friday. 

@CPhillips2020