UNC softball drops series opener 9-5 to Cardinals

Kendra Lynch throws a pitch during North Carolina’s 8-0 shutout against Georgetown on Feb. 28.

Even after a hot start, the North Carolina softball team dropped the opener of its weekend series against Louisville, 9-5.

It didn’t take long for the Tar Heels (17-18, 3-7 ACC) to get on the board on Saturday. A Taylor Wike double, accompanied by a home run from “Downtown” Kristen Brown, put UNC up 2-0 in the bottom of the first.

Junior Kendra Lynch started in the circle for UNC and held the Cardinals (24-6, 9-1 ACC) hitless for the first two innings — but things got rocky after that.

The top of the third inning saw the first hit for Louisville, along with a walk to rev up the Cardinals' engines.

With runners on first and third with one out, a ground ball looked like it would break the Louisville drought. But a heads-up play by Brown to cut down the runner at the plate preserved the Tar Heels' lead — for the time being.

The next batter for Louisville, pitcher Maryssa Becker, drove one over the fence in right to give the Cardinals a 3-2 advantage.

UNC came up in the bottom of the third inning and earned three runs, courtesy of RBI singles from Berlynne Delmora and Lauren Fuller.

But Louisville did not shy away. The Cardinals hit home runs in the fourth and sixth innings to plate six runs across the final four innings.

North Carolina started a miniature rally to plate a run in the seventh, but it couldn't muster any more.

Quotable

“You can’t defend home runs.” — Coach Donna Papa on the effectiveness of Louisville’s offense.

Notable

Two players on Louisville hit their first home run of the season on Saturday.

Three numbers that matter

59: Brown's home run in the bottom of the first inning was the 59th of her career.

4: The two teams combined for four home runs in the game.

0: Neither team committed an error on Saturday.

What's next?

The Tar Heels play two games against the Cardinals on Sunday. The first game of the doubleheader will start at 9:30 a.m. and the second will begin at noon.

@WBOD3