UNC softball uses little things in series win over Notre Dame

Berlynne Delamora attempts to throw out a base runner during Monday night's game against Notre Dame.

This weekend at Anderson Stadium, though, UNC (26-22, 10-11 ACC) used its small ball to take the series from No. 18 Notre Dame (35-8, 10-5 ACC), two games to one. UNC took pitches, got deep in counts, drew walks, slapped down bunts and hits and ran the bases well to put themselves in position to win.

“Fantastic,” Coach Donna Papa said of her team’s performance. “Win it at home (on) senior weekend. I’m so proud of this team.”

UNC won the opening game on Sunday 7-4 before falling in the second half of the doubleheader 12-2. In Monday’s rubber match, the little plays led to the big ones, as UNC rallied to a 7-6 win.

Destiny DeBerry and Aquilla Mateen used speed to beat out throws for infield singles, going a combined 6-for-7 at the plate. With four stolen bases combined, DeBerry and Mateen jump started the Tar Heel offense when they needed it most, including a crucial double steal to set up Brown’s game-winning sacrifice fly to score Mateen.

“When you can get both of them on, they can wreak havoc,” Papa said.

Brown walked six times during the series, breaking the school record for career walks and scoring three runs.

“I’m just waiting for my pitch, and if they’re not gonna give it to me, it’s another opportunity for another girl to drive me in,” Brown said.

Defense came up huge for the Tar Heels as well. UNC committed only one error in the series. Second baseman Taylor Wike snagged a sinking line drive to end the four-run Notre Dame fifth inning and threw out the potential tying run at the plate in the seventh.

Lynch avoided the walks that hampered the Fighting Irish in the series, hitting her spots and keeping the ball in play for her defense.

“I just mainly needed to not put anything on plate because that’s when they make pitchers pay is when balls are plated,” Lynch said.

For UNC, the series win is a huge boost in momentum for an NCAA Tournament bubble team going into the final stretch of the regular season looming after exams.

“(Exams) makes it difficult for us to be 1) competing and 2) being together a lot and being really focused,” Papa said. “That part is always the tough part.

“But hopefully these (games) will help us get into the ACC tournament and give us a lot of confidence going against Georgia Tech.”

@sjdoughton