Letter: CAPS needs to give students more time

I believe that Counseling and Psychological Services should allow students seeking individual therapy services more time than the current designated limitation.

Students are only permitted to meet with counselors 10-12 times, and after that they are referred to a counselor off campus if they wish to continue seeking counseling. This is less convenient for students and can prevent students with limited transportation from receiving the treatment they need. For someone to take the first step and open up to a counselor is huge. It can be hard to let out what is hurting you inside and to be completely vulnerable with a stranger. Over time, you develop trust in the counselor and begin to feel comfortable being completely open about what you are feeling.

For some, 10-12 weeks is not enough time to develop a relationship with a counselor and completely resolve the issues they are facing. I believe that there shouldn’t be a standard time frame that everyone must follow in terms of session length. One student may feel better about their problems by week four, yet another still may be really struggling up until week 11. More time should be given to students if they really need it.

The thought of having to start all over again with a new counselor in a different location can be overwhelming. Additionally, a counselor off campus may be more expensive and out of range for students — especially ones that are struggling to afford college in the first place. The services on campus are easily accessible, allowing students who do not have a car to have the ease of getting to campus health. The Counseling and Psychological Services provides students an opportunity to receive help if they need it, and that should not be limited.

Gabrielle Gibson

Junior

Sports Administration