Chancellor Folt announced today the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools has lifted UNC’s academic probation one year after it was put in place. 

In an interview, Folt said she had heard 45 minutes ago about the probation being lifted. She said the University and SACS-COC have been working closely over the past year.

Folt said in an interview they have been going through documentation, policies and results. She said reforms, such as the student athlete process review group and the integrity and ethics working group, were reviewed.

“A lot of it was saying ‘okay, Chapel Hill, you’ve done a number of things, let’s show us that they’re really working,’” Folt in an interview, “That really was a lot of what we were doing.”

Folt said SACS-COC has a strong commitment to maintaining high standards and the University is now back in good standing with the accrediting board.

“That’s why it takes a long time and a very diligent and persistent approach to do it, and I believe they saw that we were doing it, it was working, we were doing the right thing and we were completely committed, not only to doing it today, but doing it in the future.”

Folt said now that probation has been lifted, the University will no longer be audited or monitored by SACS-COC.

“We’re finished.”