​Back to School Style: How to dress like Nancy Wheeler from “Stranger Things”

Get Nancy's back to school look.

Get Nancy's back to school look.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder — but fashion knows no limits. From the catwalk to the silver screen, we're taking fashion cues from our favorite characters in pop culture. This week: "Stranger Things." 

The Netflix original series “Stranger Things” has captured the hearts of binge-watchers everywhere with its government conspiracies, telekinetic children and 1980s nostalgia. The show follows the citizens of a town in 1980s Indiana as they search for a missing child and discover much more along the way. 

One of these citizens is Nancy Wheeler, an awkward high school student who struggles to balance her goody-two-shoes image with her feelings for bad boy Steve Harrington, all while she searches for her best friend, Barb. Nancy’s style is a preppy blend of modesty and utility. She loves to wear sweaters and lots of layers, which makes her a great icon for fall fashion. Here are some (affordable) outfits you can purchase to dress just like Nancy Wheeler! 

Young Nancy Reagan

Here is Nancy’s pilot episode “I look like a librarian but I make out with popular boys in the school bathroom” outfit. For an updated version of Nancy’s look, pair this sleeveless denim top with this pink cardigan and this striped skirt.

Sweater Weather

This is one of my favorite looks! Get Nancy’s high-waisted black pants from Chapel Hill's own Bevello and pair it with this striped sweater and this vintage messenger bag.

Monster Hunting Outfit

Wear this vintage corduroy shearling jacket with this pullover sweater and this flannel shirt to go monster hunting in the woods!

Tweed is Back

Nancy’s tweed jacket is one of my favorite articles of clothing of the series, but it is also impossible to find. Here’s one similar to it that you can pair with this crew neck sweater. And finally, here’s a personalized version of Nancy’s iconic ballet slipper necklace.

These outfits are sure to help you tackle all this semester throws at you, even a demogorgon from the Upside Down.