Howell Hall shows off new technology at reopening

New technology was on display after Kevin Guskiewicz, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, cut the red ribbon to introduce the renovated Howell Hall. 

Friday afternoon, faculty, students and community members gathered at Howell Hall to celebrate its reopening as a psychology and neuroscience building with cutting-edge technology.

The $12 million renovation began in 2014. The renovated building includes new laboratories that feature new forms of advanced technology, including human and animal brain imaging, audiovisual equipment for intensive emotion inductions, an interventional brain stimulation suite and an anxiety laboratory. 

“This building really enables us to build research and teaching in cutting-edge areas in the study of psychology and neuroscience,” said Karen Gil, former dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. “It will provide phenomenal opportunities for our undergraduate and graduate students to work with top faculty.” 

Howell Hall, which was built in 1906, has played host to the chemistry department, the pharmacy school and the journalism school in its long and storied history. Additionally, it was the first building to be built with state funds at UNC. 

Students, faculty and guests were impressed with the building's new features. 

“I think it’s amazing, and I’m absolutely thrilled for this department to have the space to continue to produce groundbreaking research,” said Anne Collins, attendee and staff member of the College of Arts and Sciences Foundation.

During the tour of the building, guests got a taste of what the new labs have to offer. 

In the anxiety laboratory, faculty, graduate and undergraduate students study the fear of spiders.

“We study treatment for fears and phobias,” said Jon Abramowitz, professor of psychology and neuroscience. “In our lab, we are specifically interested in what’s the best way to help people get over their phobias by facing their fears. We study, in particular, spider-phobia.”

In the behavorial observation suite, study participants interact with one another while their behavior is monitored. Sara Algoe, an assistant professor at UNC, and Laura Kurtz, a Ph.D. candidate, showed that the more time couples spend laughing together, the closer they feel to each other in a study conducted at the suite. 

The new labs offer more research opportunities and updated equipment for undergraduate and graduate students.

“We have more space and more state-of-the-art technology we can use here,” said senior psychology major Jessica Ferrall. “So I’m really happy with it.”