Letter: Let us unite against Donald Trump

Thanks for the thoughtful editorial on student activism in The Daily Tar Heel. My plea for the next 10 weeks is for activists to unite around the necessity of defeating Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.

Pick a domestic progressive issue: climate change, race relations, women’s rights, tolerance of gender identity or religion, medical coverage, the justice system, economic and education opportunity — all of these will suffer under President Trump.

Wake up every morning until November thinking, “What can I do today to defeat Trump?”

And if you don’t love Hillary Clinton, there are other avenues to pursue.

Help with voter registration (and make sure yours is set) and get-out-the-vote efforts.

If you have a car, I promise it’s a fantastic feeling to help someone who otherwise couldn’t get to the polls.

We have an excellent chance to retire the governor who defends HB2 and a fighting chance to do so for the senator who blocked full release of the investigation into torture. Congress member David Price is a treasure, and there are a slew of N.C. elections up for grabs.

And on Nov. 9, we can celebrate — and on Nov. 10, the issue closest to your heart will still be there.

Joe Swain

Carrboro