Person on the Street: What do you think of presidential candidates' Twitters?

This election season, Twitter has become the political playground for candidates to make their case for the public's vote. But not all Twitter accounts were created equal. Staff writer Hari Chittilla asked UNC students their opinions on how presidential candidates use social media and their lasting impressions. 

Miguel Vargas, sophomore, computer science major

"I follow both candidates on Facebook and Twitter. I feel like Donald Trump's posts are over-the-top and Hillary’s posts have been very offensive toward Donald Trump as well. I feel like Donald Trump is overall very ridiculous as a candidate and Hillary has a lot of flaws, but she has things to work on and is overall the better candidate of the two."

Maura Deering, sophomore, contemporary European studies major

"I think that Trump doesn’t have very good PR qualities because he really alienates people with what he says, and Hillary tries too hard to relate with the youth population, so that’s why people call her a lizard person." 

Caleb Watkins, first-year, pre-pharmacy major

"I think the whole race has gotten out of hand. They’re consumed with insulting each other and putting the other ones down instead of actually having claims in other things they can do to help the country. They’re fighting each other instead of fighting causes that could actually be beneficial for the country." 

Elizabeth Smith, sophomore, physics major

"I liked Hillary's 'delete your account' post but both candidates — mostly Trump — should be more professional." 

Dianne Heath, senior, history

"(Trump is) really trying to connect with his base and he’s trying to say the most far right things. He’s quoted Stalin. He’s retweeted white supremacists. So he’s really trying to do what he needs to do to appeal to the most heartfelt members of his party, like the Tea Party and affiliates. Right now he appears to be softening his message to bring in the moderates and mainstream Republicans. I haven’t heard anything about him saying anything as outrageous as he was in the beginning."