Update (5:59 p.m.): Gov. Pat McCrory has issued the following statement in response to the ACC decision. 

"The issue of redefining gender and basic norms of privacy will be resolved in the near future in the United States court system for not only North Carolina, but the entire nation. I strongly encourage all public and private institutions to both respect and allow our nation’s judicial system to proceed without economic threats or political retaliation toward the 22 states that are currently challenging government overreach."

Update (3:21 p.m.): Margaret Spellings, UNC system president, commented on the ACC's decision Wednesday.

"We appreciate that the ACC shares our commitment to creating an inclusive atmosphere for all, but we regret that today’s decision will penalize affected host communities and fans throughout the state," she said in a statement. "Intercollegiate sports and the ACC are integral parts of North Carolina’s economy and way of life."

Update (2:27 p.m.): UNC Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham responded to the NCAA's and ACC's decision to relocate championship events.

Respecting diversity and being an inclusive campus for students, faculty, staff and our guests is paramount at Carolina," he said in a statement. "The Atlantic Coast Conference shares those aspirations to be fair and welcoming to people of all backgrounds. We have great respect for the NCAA‘s and ACC’s decisions, and are glad that the on-campus championships will remain in place.

"However, we are disappointed that 10 ACC neutral-site events will be moved out of state because of the negative effects those decisions have on student-athletes, fans and numerous host communities. We are hopeful that these issues are resolved quickly and the championship events are able to return to our state.”

Update (2:18 p.m.): UNC Chancellor Carol Folt and N.C. State Chancellor Randy Woodson responded to the ACC's decision in a joint statement.

"We appreciate the Council of Presidents’ reaffirmation of the ACC’s strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, as well as the decision to keep ACC championship contests on our campuses," they said. "However, we regret today’s decision will negatively affect many North Carolinians, especially in the affected host communities."

1:58 p.m.: The Atlantic Coast Conference has moved all neutral site championships away from the state of North Carolina for the 2016-17 academic year because of House Bill 2.

This decision comes two days after the NCAA announced it would pull seven championship events from the state.

“The ACC Council of Presidents made it clear that the core values of this league are of the utmost importance, and the opposition to any form of discrimination is paramount,” ACC Commissioner John Swofford said in a statement Wednesday.

The ACC will relocate 10 championship events — including the ACC Football Championship, which was scheduled for Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte on Dec. 3.

The conference will also relocate championships for women's soccer, men's and women's swimming and diving, women's basketball, men's and women's tennis, men's and women's golf and baseball.

Championships held at campus sites within the state will not be affected.