Cat's Cradle lineup for October 2016

Saxaphone specialist Danny Abrams plays a scale to prove his place in the band, part of one of the skits performed during the show. The night was full of theatrical spectacles punctuated by foot-stomping performances.

Resting comfortably off the curb of East Main Street, Cat’s Cradle hosts a variety of musicians that play a wide range of genres. With everything from local favorites to international sensations at the Cradle, campus is only a stroll away from some consistently great tunes.

Here’s what you should look forward to seeing in the next few weeks:

Carrboro Music Festival

Sept. 24 to Sept. 25

FREE

The Carrboro Recreation and Parks Department and the Carrboro Music Festival Planning Committee have teamed up to create a free two-day event in an attempt to strengthen the Carrboro community while giving local musicians an opportunity to to play for a larger audience. 

Cat’s Cradle is hosting a number of the musicians this weekend including the Gary Mitchell Band, Stranger Spirits and The Spectacles, so it’s definitely worth stopping by. 

Denzel Curry 

Sept. 27, 8 p.m.

$17 to $19

Denzel Curry is an up-and-coming American rapper from Carol City, Florida. He is most famous for his song “Ultimate."

Curry has been working the underground hip-hop scene since his debut mixtape, "Nostalgic 64," and he began his transition to the national stage when his double EP, "32 Zel/Planet Shrooms," dropped in 2015. 

Now out with a new album, "Imperial," and a part of XXL magazine’s 2016 Freshman class, Curry has proved he has what it takes to make it big. His music is lyrical, powerful and full of energy — this performance is not to be missed. 

Ruth B

Sept. 28, 7:30 p.m.

$10 to $12

With over 2.2 million followers, Ruth Berhe, more commonly known as Ruth B, has been posting six-second snippets of songwriting inspiration on her Vine account since 2013. Berhe sings in a whispery croon, accompanying herself with simple and deliberate piano arrangements. 

In June 2016, her first single “Lost Boy” reached No. 24 in Billboard’s Hot 100, and we can’t wait to see what else she brings to Cat’s Cradle this September. 

Hardworker

Oct. 8, 9 p.m.

$10 to $12

Originally a duo that made Ramones covers in Durham, guitarist-vocalist Sus Long and bassist-banjo player Michael Conner recruited guitarist Danny Nowell, singer Alex Treyz and drummer Dave Berka to create a fully formed band — otherwise known as Hardworker. 

They released their EP, "The Awful Rowing," in September 2015, with a track list of pensive folk music with soothing guitar riffs. This is a great opportunity to support local bands, and they play great music, so there is no reason not to go! 

The Mowgli’s

Oct. 11, 8 p.m.

$17 to $19

Combining folk influence with the quirk of modern indie pop bands, the Mowgli’s are a six-piece music collective that’s sure to please. The L.A.-based band preaches love, harmony and happiness, and it is evident in all of their songs. 

With popular hits like “I’m Good” and “San Francisco,” the Mowgli’s sound is full of playfulness and enthusiasm, and their performance definitely will be, too. 

Seratones

Oct. 21, 9 p.m.

$12 to $14

The Seratones is a small band with a big sound. Originally from Shreveport, La., this hip, four-person rock-and-roll band takes inspiration from everywhere, including soul, jazz and garage-band rock. Bassist Adam Davis, guitarist Connor Davis and drummer Jesse Gabriel create accompaniments rife with confidence and energy, and frontwoman A.J. Haynes’ powerful vocals make their sound complete. 

Danny Brown

Oct. 29, 9 p.m. 

$22 to $99

Michigan rapper Danny Brown’s last album, "Old," was named fifth best album of 2013 by Pitchfork, and his new album, "Atrocity Exhibition," will drop just in time for his concert at Cat’s Cradle. Brown has been known as the oddball of the rap industry since he joined the game in 2003. 

His unrestrained rhymes, abrasive voice and smile that bares a missing front tooth lends to his aesthetic of unapologetic insanity. As an energetic performer and a high-profile guest at Cat’s Cradle this month, Danny Brown is a must-see. 

swerve@dailytarheel.com