CDS brings burritos, wok station to Lenoir and Rams

UNC campus recreational spaces are limited

This year, CDS added new options to Rams Head and Lenoir Dining Halls in an effort to meet students’ needs.

The fully-equipped burrito bar is one of the most obvious of the new offerings at Lenoir.

Scott Myers, director of food and vending services at CDS, said he knew the burrito bar would be popular, based on student response during orientation. According to Myers, about 350 burritos or burrito bowls are being served during each meal in Lenoir.

The burrito bar offers two types of rice and meat, beans and toppings, including guacamole. Chips and salsa, also new, can be found next to the soup station.

For students who don’t like the generic chicken offered at the salad bar, there is a new specialty salad station, where the preferred protein of the student is cooked to order. The station rotates with the normal omelet offering.

The salad now also has granola as a topping option.

Myers said the goal of new food offerings like these is to balance getting cooked-to-order food with getting it fast. He said Lenoir wants to offer the best of both worlds, allowing students to create their own options.

The bottom of Lenoir saw changes to offer students more variety while easing the traffic flow upstairs.

Lenoir Mainstreet, in the bottom of Lenoir, now has morning pastries. Students with plus swipes can also use them at more locations in the bottom of Lenoir this semester, including Mediterranean Deli, Sitar and Sushinara.

Rams Head on South Campus also has a few changes in store for students, including new specialty and stir-fry stations.

The specialty station replaced one of the salad bars in Rams. The stir-fry station, complete with three woks, replaced the grill. The stir-fry has rotating options, including egg scrambles and Asian-influenced meals. This station comes equipped with a camera, so students can see their food being made.

Thomas Andrews, sophomore, visited Rams this year, and said he immediately noticed the new features — especially the wok station.

“It definitely gives a lot more options than just having the two omelette stations,” he said. “The food seems to be a lot better this semester, too.”

In the future, Myers said CDS is working to enhance brunch offerings at Rams Head and add DJ nights once a month at Lenoir.

swerve@dailytarheel.com