Ceremony unveils marker for unmarked graves in Old Chapel Hill Cemetery

President of the Black Student Movement, Tre Shockley, and Revered Robert Campbell (right) unveil the new marker which honors those buried in unmarked graves in the Old Chapel Hill Cemetery.

On Feb. 29, a marker that was erected to pay respect to the unmarked graves was uprooted after community backlash over the lack of a proper dedication ceremony.

Mayor Pam Hemminger said the original marker had good intentions, but after seeing a wider community perspective, it was clear the community wanted the town to better recognize the dead.

At 4 p.m., a group of Chapel Hill residents, students, teachers, politicians and local leaders gathered for the unveiling of a grave marker. The Black Student Movement groups, Harmonyx and UNC Gospel Choir sang the Negro National Anthem along with other musical selections.

“This occasion shall echo through the pages of history,” said Stanley Peele, retired district court judge. “We are making something right that has been wrong.”

After the speeches and performances, Reverend Robert Campbell and Tre Shockley, president of the Black Student Movement, unveiled the marker.

The line on the marker reads, “Thus we, like birds, retreat to groves, and hide from ev’ry eye: Our slumb’ring dust will rise and meet its morning in the sky.”

Former Chapel Hill Mayor Howard Lee said this line was important to include on the marking.

“The four most important things on the tombstone are the person’s name, the date they were born, the date they died and the line,” said Lee. “The line is the most important because the line represents their life.”

After the unveiling, the audience stood in silence as the Chapel Hill police and fire department’s color guard marched out with national, state and local flags.

Many Chapel Hill citizens and UNC students were in attendance.

The ceremony comes after the cemetery was recently vandalized

Jim Orr, director of Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation, noticed black spray paint on the cemetery’s gazebo.

It read “Devil White Race.”

The spray paint was removed Thursday before the ceremony, Orr said.

Orr said he’s viewing the vandalism as a random act and unrelated to the ceremony.

After the ceremony, there was a small reception in the Knapp-Sanders Building at the School of Government.

Lee thanked the community for coming together.

“This is a very special place,” Lee said. “It has become a monument.”

Winston Crisp, vice chancellor for student affairs at UNC, said the university could not be more grateful to be apart of the community.

“We are all the sum of those who come before us,” Crisp said.

@thehannahwall