Column: Work for the DTH and help build something incredible

Jane Wester

Editor-in-chief Jane Wester

There are plenty of reasons you should join The Daily Tar Heel.

Where else will you interview a governor, a mayor and a chancellor before you turn 20? Where else will you work on stories that matter not just to your community, but to the country?

Where else are college kids entirely in charge of the top news source for a major university and several surrounding towns?

I filled out my DTH application about two hours before the deadline, so you’ve still got time before it’s due at 4 p.m. Friday.

You should join the DTH because the coolest people at UNC are so ready to meet you. We call them “desk editors,” but they’ll really be your coaches, mentors and informal older siblings.

The DTH is a teaching paper. That means you don’t need any experience reporting, taking pictures, copy editing or designing graphics when you start working for us.

We’ll teach you, and in a flash of lightning, you’ll be published. Your editors make that transformation possible.

When I was a new staffer, I thought the city editor’s constant willingness to explain things and listen to my problems was amazing. I didn’t even work for her desk.

Now I know that’s just how the DTH works. I’ll never be able to pay back my former editors for all the advice and supportive animal photos they’ve given me.

Your editors will ask you to try to meet your deadlines, get accurate quotes and create something you’re proud of — but we’ll give you a ride home after, you’ll have some ridiculous story to tell about that night in the office, and you’ll never be without a friend.