Employee Forum discusses policy and salary changes

The meeting began with the presentation of the Employee Forum Community Award, or the Three-Legged Stool Award, to Sharbari Dey, assistant director of education and special initiatives in the Diversity and Multicultural Affairs office.

The award recognizes individuals who work to cultivate cooperation and collaboration among faculty, students and staff.

Kim Strom-Gottfried, director of ethics education and policy management, spoke to the forum about changes being made to University policies. A new committee will organize the University’s 1,600 policies into an organized database.

Human Resources representatives spoke to the forum about annual enrollment in health care with a presentation called “Rock Enroll.”

Linc Butler, associate vice chancellor for Human Resources, spoke to the forum about changes to the Fair Labor Standards Act that will result in the raising of salary thresholds.

Who spoke?

Strom-Gottfried introduced her role as the new director of ethics education and policy management. She said she will be heading an office where they will create a policy repository.

“That’s going to be a heavy lift and it’s going to take a while, but the notion is to get policies into a searchable, transparent, current database,” she said.

Strom-Gottfried said the project of getting the policies in order will be a continuous process because things change and so will the policies.

After Strom-Gottfried’s explanation, Butler told the forum about the recent changes made to the Fair Labor Standards Act by the Department of Labor.

Butler said the salary threshold for exempting certain employees from overtime requirements rose to $913 per week. Employees not meeting the new salary threshold must receive overtime for all hours worked over 40 hours in a work week.

Butler said this will be effective Dec. 1, 2016.

When do they meet again?

The Employee Forum meet once a month and will meet again on Oct. 5. There will be an Executive Committee meeting on Sept. 20.