Faculty Athletics Committee reviews recent ACC decision

Chancellor Carol Folt said the presidents of the universities in the ACC agree on diversity, inclusivity and welcoming environments that are safe — which is why Folt said she understood the ACC’s decision.

She said each president of an ACC university was allowed to vote on the decision beforehand, but she could not disclose how she voted.

“I think that everyone appreciates that universities have not been at the center of this controversy, but in a way, we’ve become at the center because of how it plays out,” Folt said.

Ezra Baeli-Wang, a Student Athlete Advisory Council representative, said the ACC’s decision was largely dependent on the NCAA’s recent decision to also move championships from the state because of HB2.

“We were left with very few options, as a conference, in terms of how to respond,” he said. “The precedent had been very clearly set by the overall governing body of collegiate athletics.”

Folt said the NCAA’s decision came as a surprise even to her.

“One of the things that we all objected to was the speed with which this happened,” she said.

“I didn’t know about the NCAA until it showed up. Everybody was very upset by that. The NCAA didn’t allow us to have our normal level of consultation.”

Blake Dodge, another Student Athletic Advisory Council representative, said student athletes were saddened to no longer be able to compete in a championship at home.

“However, it was hard to gauge, from my perspective, the student athlete pulse, considering the other news about the sexual assault allegations that happened in such close proximity,” Dodge said.

“Once that happened, that pretty much took over the conversation.”

Bubba Cunningham, athletic director, said there is a possibility the soccer season will be split into two seasons, one in the fall and one in the spring to relieve a problem with losing players to professional leagues.

“Soccer is probably the most challenging sport we have relative to students going professional, believe it or not,” Cunningham said.

“They can go pro anytime. At least we know in football, basketball, baseball when they’re ready for the draft. In soccer, they’re eligible whenever the phone rings.”

Cunningham declined to comment on the recent sexual assault case.

@leah_moore1