It's almost International Bacon Day, so we found the best bacon in Chapel Hill

6375_cheesefriesf.jpg

All orders of Linda’s cheese fries-such as this half-order basket above-come with chives, bacon, cheese and ranch dressing.

They say the best way to a college student’s heart is through their stomach. 

And is there honestly any better vehicle than bacon? (Sorry @vegetarians and @vegans.)

The internet has graced us with yet another inconceivably perfect holiday taking place this Saturday — International Bacon Day — that celebrates the existence of the world’s best bad-for-you food. 

To ensure this day of devout love is observed properly, I’ve compiled a guide to all things bacon in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area.*

*Please eat responsibly.

CHEAPEST BACON IN THE AREA 

Of the restaurants in the area that offer a side of bacon à la carte (or with relatively few fixings), the most economical bacon purchase can be found at Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen where a simple bacon biscuit costs around $2. (Note: Merritt's and Sunrise only offer bacon on their sandwiches, but we compared the strips of bacon on the sandwich to the side orders of bacon.) 

CLOSEST BACON TO YOU

If you want to minimize back sweat on your trip to hog heaven, the best places to get your bacon fix would be Lenoir/Rams Head Dining Hall (during breakfast hours), Ye Olde Waffle Shoppe or Time-Out Restaurant — both less than a 10-minute walk from the Pit. All distances are based on walking. 

MOST DIVERSE BACON OFFERINGS

Feeling like eggs and bacon just won’t cut it on this historic day? Head to Sup Dogs and choose from their menu of over 13 bacon-related items. (Note: We counted custom-made items, like omelets, as containing bacon, and we did not count the kids menu) 

BEST BACON

If you ask anyone on campus their favorite way to eat bacon, you’ll probably hear “on top of a BLT at Merritt’s.” Captivating both the hearts and stomachs of Chapel Hill, Merritt’s Store and Grill continues to be a campus and community favorite. Though it is one of the busier bacon establishments, many say their legendary BLT is well worth the wait.

You now have the tools to indulge in all things bacon. Enjoy International Bacon Day and spread the bacon love!

@mghatchh

swerve@dailytarheel.com