Letter: ​Politicians should hear scientists out

As a lifelong North Carolinian and UNC student who studies environmental policy, I was elated when I learned that my university was receiving funding from the state legislature for an environmental policy initiative. However, I quickly grew disappointed when I learned that this funding was merely a mechanism for state legislatures to interject politics into environmental research. Political leaders claim the initiative will allow state lawmakers to access the university’s expertise for future policy issues.

Of course, if this was the genuine motivation, then state legislatures could seek advice from the longstanding Institute for the Environment at UNC.

Furthermore, politicians should heed the words of scientific experts, but they shouldn’t try to influence science. Politically motivated science completely compromises the integrity of that research, and it jeopardizes the reputation of our state’s flagship university. Biased research could also prevent action to protect North Carolina’s environment.

If state legislatures want to fund programs in exchange for access to UNC faculty expertise, that’s fine, but they shouldn’t use state funding to create an initiative for their own political ends. In other words, keep your politics out of my science.

Bailey Costin

Senior

Political Science