Library survival tips from an under-qualified expert

The Undergraduate Library is currently under construction. 

The library. The black hole-esque building that seemingly sucks all life out of its occupants and conjures up images of long nights spent slaving over that paper you put off until the last minute or that exam which you’ve just realized you know absolutely nothing about.

Despite all of this, the library is a great place to get work completed, especially if you know how to make the most of your visit. 

I like to think that after two semesters spent living in the library, I’ve gone through enough trial and error to get this library-going thing down to a science.

Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your next visit to the library:

Bring food

If you plan on being in the library for an extended period of time, consider bringing either some snacks or a meal to give yourself some energy. Food breaks also provide the perfect time to take a study break. Just be sure to avoid clicking the “Watch next episode” button on Netflix.

via GIPHY

Take breaks

There are whole studies devoted to the most effective type of break-taking. Taking a 10 minute break every 50 minutes doesn’t necessarily work for everyone. Find out what works best for you and stick to that schedule. After all, you’re the one who knows how you study best.

Bring headphones

Going to the library without headphones is just tragic. Even if you don’t like to listen to music while you work, they’re great if you want to watch the latest episode of “Bachelor in Paradise” without disrupting those around you.

Have a killer playlist

If you are the type of person who likes or needs to listen to music while working, make sure you’ve got a great playlist to accompany you. Find songs that motivate you as well as keep you focused. Impromptu dance breaks in the middle of a thirty-page reading are highly recommended.

via GIPHY

Occasionally look out the window

Being in the library for a large block of time can often make one forget about the outside world. So take some time to glance out of a window every once in while. It’s refreshing to have a reminder that your stay in the library is only temporary.

Move around

Sitting can become painful after a while, especially if you’re confined to an all wood chair with no means of cushion. So take some time every once in a while to stand up, stretch, walk around or dance it out.

Drink water

Even though you’re not outside walking around in the heat, it’s still important to drink water. Another plus is that drinking water will get you up and moving when you go to refill.

via GIPHY

Leave once you feel like you’re no longer being productive

There’s no point in trying to force yourself to study or work on an assignment, especially if you’ve been in the library for a considerable amount of time. So pack up, head out and rejoice in the feel of the fresh air of the outside world.

Relax

Close your eyes, take a few deep breaths and remember that you’ve got this.

via GIPHY

swerve@dailytarheel.com